Join for free
loisand
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
loisand is female 

16-05-2013, 07:46 PM

My leisure activities

I have unusaul ones....the most recent being is chimney pots, having no car and having to travel everywhere by bus I got fed up with just looking out the window, now I look up and can't believe the amount of different chimney pots there are around, so it got me thinking and was well chuffed when I found a website for silly people like me. Try it one day, you will be amazed. My other hobbies are windmills and watermills, again for the amazement of when they were built the technology that went into them, and family and local history
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Re: My leisure activities

Craftsmanship is sadly lacking these days, I love old buildings, I like to photograph unusual bits. I even took photos of the glass skylights set in the pavements in Bath, (they have cellars there) the glass squares are lovely amber colours. I love the reclaimation yards, they always have interesting stuff like chimney pots etc. If you can't travel far there are always treasures & things right on you doorstep aren't there?
loisand
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
loisand is female 

17-05-2013, 06:24 PM

You are so right there Twizard....I was so amazed at how many different chimney pots I saw on my short but time consuming travel back and forwards to work....I am so facinated about how the tradepeople all those years ago did such beautiful and wonderful archetect....what do we get to day...hardly any character and buildings that won't last the time. I recently went to a funeral, RIP the persons who funeral it was but I was drawn to and amazed at the wooden treds of the organ...why didn't i take notice when I was younger lol the question I keep asking myself.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2013, 08:14 PM

My Dad was a stone mason so I guess I'm drawn to these things, just been to reclamation yard today to take photos, there's some amazing stuff there and they don't mind me taking photos. We seem to have lost the ability to create beautiful things, although people who do restoration must learn it somewhere. Pity modern architecture is so bland. Are you going to post any photos of chimney pots etc on here?
loisand
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
loisand is female 

17-05-2013, 08:35 PM

I wasn't thinking of doing that.....your dad must have been very artistic then....it's the same as the gargoyles (hope I've spelt that right)...you see them in the most unusual places...and they all must meen something, because why put them on buildings. I saw a snippet on tv the other night about the english gargoyles and the french ones...,and it was all to do with war against the english and the french, wish i had listened abit more careful now lol. Did you by any chance follow in your fathers footsteps?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

17-05-2013, 08:42 PM

Not with stone but I do like to make things, from material, papiermache, wool and love to draw & paint. Unfortunately my hands are getting stiff and painful so can't do as much as I used to. History is fascinating. Called in to Glastonbury as well today, great place, interesting people about. Seem to attract creative sorts there. My daughter & I are going to a Steampunk Extravaganza tomorrow, hopefully there will be lots of interesting stuff!
loisand
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
loisand is female 

18-05-2013, 10:32 AM

sorry to hear the Twizard....age catches up so quick...I love knitting but the old thumbs and fingers don't. Enjoy Steampunk Extravaganza today...now I'm off to google it and see what I would be missing
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

18-05-2013, 06:18 PM

I've put photos on my profile of it, it was brilliant (and free!) Thinking of changing my style!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top