Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:01 PM

Re: Upgrading to WIN 10 the easy way.

Originally Posted by Chas ->
I agree, no point unless you need to. However W7 goes end of life next year and end of support updates two years after that. Whilst that's probably long enough for the lifespan of a current PC, upgrading for free to get the latest secure version of Windows is surely a good thing? Plus it gets you ready for when you HAVE to replace the PC.

Linux? Hmm, this little I know about it as a desktop OS, the less I'm inclined to recommend it as a direct replacement for Windows. But if you like the command line?...
Don't want to be picky but Win 7s mainstream support ended in 2015 (ie no more updates like service packs) but security updates will continue until 2020.

Vista finishes all support next year which is perhaps when I might have one more go at Ubuntu or Lubuntu to see if an old laptop has any more life in it (not holding my breath on that one my last attempt when XP finished worked but was so sssllllooooooooowwww)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Anyone know how long W8.1 is likely to get support.

I don't want to upgrade this laptop to 10 if I can avoid it. My next one will come with W10 installed.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I'm on the cusp of going from Win 7 to 10. I like my Win 7 and have it exactly how I like it, although I duel-boot with Linux Mint.

I'm just torn between upgrading or keeping it as it is.

I have two words to say on the subject BACK UP .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chas ->
I agree, no point unless you need to. However W7 goes end of life next year and end of support updates two years after that. Whilst that's probably long enough for the lifespan of a current PC, upgrading for free to get the latest secure version of Windows is surely a good thing? Plus it gets you ready for when you HAVE to replace the PC.

Linux? Hmm, this little I know about it as a desktop OS, the less I'm inclined to recommend it as a direct replacement for Windows. But if you like the command line?...
Lots has been written by those here who are for and against upgrading. Much discussion in these threads:

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=34773

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=24262

More can be found via an Internet search. With all information up for consideration, I think it just comes down to a personal choice in the end.

Something on the Linux question though. Mint has done its best to make using the command line unnecessary. It has pretty much managed this but it might be needed occasionally. When it is, there is no need to actually type code in. Put the problem being experienced into a search engine and code that helps can be copy/pasted from Linux forums or articles. I've found that any problem encountered can be remedied this way.

On the current installation of Mint 18, the only times I've needed to copy/paste code into the Terminal was for the webcam microphone not working with Skype and for Steam Games not starting up. There are perhaps fewer problems with Linux than might be encountered with a Windows installation.

I agree that switching platforms might not be for everyone. I only suggest it as an alternative for those who find so much dissatisfaction with MS Windows systems. Mint is a user-friendly version of Linux to choose if coming from MS Windows.

Edit: Thinking further, it was only Steam Games not working that needs code copy/pasting. The webcam microphone problem was overcome by installing some extra software that was available from the 'Software Centre' (clicked a button to install it).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Anyone know how long W8.1 is likely to get support.

I don't want to upgrade this laptop to 10 if I can avoid it. My next one will come with W10 installed.
Mainstream support 2018, extended support 2023
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Mainstream support 2018, extended support 2023
Thanks Bruce I will stick with 8.1 then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
I had no trouble updating. In fact I had no bloody choice!
Went to make a coffee, came back & the process had started.
I thought it would be better to let it run.
My wife had exactly the same thing: the 'upgrade' starting without her say-so, or even her knowledge. In my opinion, that is unacceptable.

However, once it had run its course, she had no problems until, after a couple of weeks, her 'start' button and task bar became invisible and inaccessible. After much searching, we found the culprit to be her (pre-installed) anti-virus programme (Avast). When that was disabled (not deleted), everything seemed to be OK again.

Co-incidentally, my new laptop with W10 pre-installed suffered display problems until, following advice, I uninstalled the Avast AV I had installed. Again, no subsequent problems.

Needless to say, it is essential to ensure that Windows' own alternative - Windows Defender - is running, although upon removal of third party AV programmes it should automatically enable itself.

I do think that Microsoft should publicise this matter widely, as I have heard on a number of occasions that third party AV programmes seem to be disliked by Windows 10.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-07-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My wife had exactly the same thing: the 'upgrade' starting without her say-so, or even her knowledge. In my opinion, that is unacceptable.
JB I have read a number of accounts confirming that W10 upgrade has been insidiously inflicting itself on people and even behaving like Malware
My sister who is not very computer literate got caught out...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30734...upgrading.html

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malw...rosoft.en.html
Questor
Kent, UK
Questor is female  Questor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 03:05 PM

If it's necessary to uninstall an anti-virus programme before upgrading it makes one wonder why Win 10 attempts this when we leave the computer briefly, given that it would still be on.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB I have read a number of accounts confirming that W10 upgrade has been insidiously inflicting itself on people and even behaving like Malware
My sister who is not very computer literate got caught out...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30734...upgrading.html

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malw...rosoft.en.html
Indeed. I'm sure that these underhand W10 installations could be classed as 'malware'. I'm patiently waiting for someone to bring a legal action against Microsoft on that basis!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top