Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 04:23 PM

Re: Free Upgrade To Windows 10

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Just do it, Windows 10 is great you will love it.
If you don't do it you are just putting off the inevitable
Have you experienced any problems since upgrading Malcolm. I am using windows 8.1 and rather nervous to upgrade due to the negative comments I have read, from various sources.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by venus ->
Have you experienced any problems since upgrading Malcolm. I am using windows 8.1 and rather nervous to upgrade due to the negative comments I have read, from various sources.
I use 8.1 - if you are happy why bother to change .........?
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by venus ->
No problems at all except that one program that I had previously installed in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, refused to work and would not reinstall either.
It was a very old program so it wasn't that surprising.
I think that anyone who had problems with W10 were probably not totally computer literate and just took a while getting used to it, although not very much changed other that it's quicker and more user friendly.
I would say go for it and join the millions of satisfied customers like me.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 05:26 PM

I'm sticking with the devil I know....
I just wish they'd stop pestering and asking me if I want the pesky thing. Worse than hardsell door-to-door salesman of old.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 05:30 PM

I've upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on a laptop and a desktop with no major operational problems.

However, the Microsoft File History no longer performs satisfactorily for anybody and some users have problems with "fuzzy fonts". Printers can be a problem but that's usually resolved by re-installing.

The privacy issue is the one of most concern - the following article indicates what actions should be taken:

http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-1...lly-1722267229

Cortana (search tool) and Edge (internet browser) should be disabled ASAP - they're both useless and unnecessary.

Friends of mine who are not computer literate have upgraded to Windows 10 and not bothered with the privacy issue but it hasn't affected their PC performance, which, in some respects, is significantly improved, e.g. faster start-up, automatic updates, friendlier navigation.

If you upgrade now, all the "fixes" applied since July 2015 will be applied as a matter of course.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm sticking with the devil I know....
I just wish they'd stop pestering and asking me if I want the pesky thing. Worse than hardsell door-to-door salesman of old.
Do a search to find out which windows update is causing that and uninstall it.

Quick edit: here's the update KB3035583 uninstall that and you'll have peace in the neighbourhood again ...
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Don't do it, if it ain't broke........
I agree, many don't like it, I prefer Windows 7 and will stick with it until I'm forced to upgrade
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
I am using 8.1 at the moment and have been putting off upgrading to 10 mainly because I am very nervous about doing it.

How long does it take, and am I likely to be asked technical questions, I can use my laptop as it stands now ok and I have a WD passport connected to which I send important data for back up should I disconnected this before upgrade.

Also I have my printer/scanner and external mouse connected should these be removed.
I've upgraded both of our home Desktop computers but to get them exactly how I want them has taken a good while. They are running well now. One was upgraded using an ISO and a clean installation. The other being an in-place upgrade from Windows 7.

The upgrade process takes a long time, depending somewhat on the speed of your computer and Internet connection.

The upgrade goes OK for the majority of people (you'll mostly only hear/read about the bad cases) but nothing can be absolutely guaranteed.

If you decide to go ahead, I'd say to disconnect the external drive but keep the printer/scanner and external mouse connected. Windows 10 might either leave the existing printer/scanner driver alone or have newer one for it. An external mouse should just work anyway.

Windows 10 is the least resource intensive operating system compared to Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 so, in theory at least, ought to run better than the other operating systems on existing computers. Some tests carried out here (ars technika UK).

As others have mentioned, you could just wait and get Windows 10 on your next computer. However, the offer of a free upgrade ends in September (although it might get extended), so you wouldn't be able to do the free upgrade on your current computer after that date.

It is a dilemma when not confident about the outcome of the upgrade. Are you able to call on any local assistance if things don't go as hoped for? Internet advice/help can be good but not as good as someone actually being there with the computer.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 05:57 PM

I have listened to lots of people on here and general chatting that have said they have not got on with W10 so I have left well alone.

I follow the saying if it aint broke.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 06:23 PM

I am putting off the upgrade for as long as possible, because I have heard from people who have Windows 10, like one of my sisters, there are quite a few glitches to be ironed out!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top