Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Re: Free Upgrade To Windows 10

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am putting off the upgrade for as long as possible, because I have heard from people who have Windows 10, like one of my sisters, there are quite a few glitches to be ironed out!
That's the way I see it - give it more time
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am putting off the upgrade for as long as possible, because I have heard from people who have Windows 10, like one of my sisters, there are quite a few glitches to be ironed out!
There are no 'glitches' to be ironed out, that's nonsense.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
There are no 'glitches' to be ironed out, that's nonsense.
There are at least THREE issues still outstanding AFAIK:

Windows 10 - Temporary Internet Files cannot delete

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-4fd2604de391

Fonts in Windows 10 blurry

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...9-ca030d59dd8d

File History Bugs: Duplicates File Backups and Doesn't Remember Backup Items

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-80498ae8218a

All THREE issues have been outstanding since August.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Nope stay as you are if its ok.☺
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
So was I... And I was very happy driving my Morris Minor but I like my Jaguar much more !
Except of course when those bills come in for a new tyre or a new exhaust or some repair !

I run a fantastic looking car, sleek, beautiful from all angles, silky smooth 3.0 V8 engine, electric everything. Had it since 1999, paid for in the first 3 years, cost me nothing since except a few tyres and an exhaust. Never let me down, never failed, never paid for a service once it was out of warranty, never failed an MOT except for a dicky tyre.
It's as close to zero cost motoring as you can get save for the compulsory road tax and insurance.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 10:09 PM

Regarding those bugs Omah. I use Edge occasionally, more to see how it goes than anything else (prefer to use Firefox).

I have cleared what Edge calls 'Cached data and files', which I assume means 'Temporary Internet Files' in Edge's terms? Everything appears to be removed according to the browser interface.

Edge's cache folder isn't located too easily but I think I found it and it doesn't have any files in there. All in all, the cache files appear to remove OK. My only gripe with Edge is that it refuses to remember its Window position (if not running full-screen).

I haven't used 'File History' on Windows 10 to know what happens.

I had noticed fuzzy fonts initially but these have not persisted. I think the problem may have been cleared up with a graphics card driver update.

Our HP 5532 printer/scanner works OK with our two Windows 10 computers. The printer continued to work on the computer that was upgraded from Windows 7. Nothing needed doing. I suppose any printer trouble might depend on what the printer is.

Although the listed bugs might make their presence known, it seems that Windows 10 is generally pretty good. I know mileages can vary though.

There will probably always be bugs with Windows 10 but W.95, W.98, XP, Vista and Windows 7 had bugs being cured during all the time they were the current operating systems. Maybe there won't ever be an OS that is entirely without them.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 10:31 PM

Have read all the advice given, thank you. I feel I should upgrade but having recently cancelled my subscription to Know How, the thought of experiencing problems and spending hours trying to solve them depresses me. I guess I shall just have to pluck up the courage and dive in.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Regarding those bugs Omah. I use Edge occasionally, more to see how it goes than anything else (prefer to use Firefox).

I have cleared what Edge calls 'Cached data and files', which I assume means 'Temporary Internet Files' in Edge's terms? Everything appears to be removed according to the browser interface.

Edge's cache folder isn't located too easily but I think I found it and it doesn't have any files in there. All in all, the cache files appear to remove OK. My only gripe with Edge is that it refuses to remember its Window position (if not running full-screen).
Although the link I included refers to "Edge", through the course of the thread the source, location and purpose of these unwanted "Temporary Internet Files" remains unknown.

When I run Windows Disk Cleanup, "Temporary Internet Files" always comes in at 11.9 GB. regardless of any cleaning procedures I have followed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 07:18 AM

I upgraded to WIN10 on my computers two (a desktop and my netbook) had absolutely no problems and work just as they used to but marginally faster.

The third machine, a laptop, proved problematical and for various reasons I reverted to WIN7 you have a month to change back and the change back is easy. So all is well in paradise.

As I have said elsewhere I am not keen on the WIN8/10 menu system so I use Classic Shell but there are a number of my contemporaries who delete all the tiles and just use the alphabetical WIN10 menu. So there are plenty of choices.

BTW I disabled everything in the privacy section and have seen no reason to change that since, I also use a local log in rather than a M$ one.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Although the link I included refers to "Edge", through the course of the thread the source, location and purpose of these unwanted "Temporary Internet Files" remains unknown.

When I run Windows Disk Cleanup, "Temporary Internet Files" always comes in at 11.9 GB. regardless of any cleaning procedures I have followed.
I spent a bit of time with the Disk Clean-up to see what could be going on there. On my computer after cleaning, 'Temporary Internet Files' are reported as being 128KB. 'Temporary Files' 5.15MB. This was after also deleting the cache files in both Edge and Internet Explorer via the browser interfaces. If the Internet Explorer cache hasn't been emptied in this way, could that account for the 11.9MB?

Going into File Explorer to look at the folders shows that the 'Temporary Internet Files' folder (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows \INetCache\IE) has 0 bytes in it but the containing directory has 5.16MB in it. This being because there's a file in there called 'SuggestedSites.dat' of this size.

The files left in the 'Temporary Files' folder (C:\Windows\Temp) after a clean-up read 2.1MB and are made up mainly of .sqm files that can't be deleted manually. Presumably, Windows is actively using these for some purpose but I don't know what.

On the face of it, it looks like there might be a mix-up on what's being reported in Disk Clean-up. Maybe Windows can't tell the difference between what's in 'Temporary Internet Files' and 'Temporary Files' and reports the files of one as being in the other? It's all a bit confusing but seems to make no difference to the running of anything.

Then again, all versions of Windows have contained many files in the system that needed a lot of delving into to try and find what they do and why they are there.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top