Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Phone calls from Talk Talk about internet connection

This is just a warning. I have today had 2 phone calls which were supposed to be from Talk Talk, my broadband providers. They said they were getting messages to show that my internet was not properly connected and said they could help me solve this if I was sitting at my computer.
I have had these calls before, but never saying they were from TalkTalk, so I questioned them and, when my questions suggested they were scammers, they hung up.
I am sure many of you have had this experience before, but I just wanted to warn anybody that hasn't.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 06:06 PM

Re: Phone calls from Talk Talk about internet connection

My normally astute brother was using his computer and got a call from Microsoft , the guy said there were problems with the computer and He could help fix it . Brother spoke for a long while with the guy and believed him .......gave him access to his computer by remote , he could see the little curser moving around and then realised he was bring conned , he unplugged the computer immediately , phoned his bank and blocked his card etc . During the time of the remote work in the minutes it was happening a large amount was being requested to be moved from his bank account . I don't know all details but he said he couldn't belive he could be conned so cleverly . He was one of the lucky ones .
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Apparently this is very common. Stay alert people and take great care.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 10:36 PM

You'd have to be an idiot to believe any of these scammers imo.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 11:32 PM

There's no way either I or my wife would fall for these cons, but my mother-in-law is another matter. She's normally quite astute for an 80 year-old, but when it comes to computers she's still in the age of the abacus.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2016, 11:42 PM

Thank you for the warning Twink. It reminds us to stay on guard.

Isn't it awful though. There's these scammers on the phone, fraudulent people knocking at our front doors, scams over the internet and so on.

It gets to me a bit sometimes because it is so tiresome, and I wish we didn't have to be constantly alert to these horrible people.
It only takes one minute of being busy or pre-occupied with something and it could be too late. I does worry me a bit.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My normally astute brother was using his computer and got a call from Microsoft , the guy said there were problems with the computer and He could help fix it . Brother spoke for a long while with the guy and believed him .......gave him access to his computer by remote , he could see the little curser moving around and then realised he was bring conned , he unplugged the computer immediately , phoned his bank and blocked his card etc . During the time of the remote work in the minutes it was happening a large amount was being requested to be moved from his bank account . I don't know all details but he said he couldn't belive he could be conned so cleverly . He was one of the lucky ones .
I had a call from them also but it didn't sound right so I ended the conversation from the initial sentence
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You'd have to be an idiot to believe any of these scammers imo.
I am not sure that helps anybody Realist! I posted this warning to alert people, who may not be aware of these kind of scams, to avoid them parting with any money to criminals. Criticizing them, certainly doesn't do that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 06:28 PM

ALL of these scams can be bundled up into a simple modus operandi so the more effective way to warn people is to simply say, never give any information out to phone callers who you do not know. If you teach people this basic principle then there is no need to report every specific "flavour of the day" scam that does the rounds.

In the same vein, there is no need for people to report every individual email scam that does the rounds as the basic principle applies to ALL such emails. i.e. Never open an email from someone you don't recognise, simply delete.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

16-03-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
ALL of these scams can be bundled up into a simple modus operandi so the more effective way to warn people is to simply say, never give any information out to phone callers who you do not know. If you teach people this basic principle then there is no need to report every specific "flavour of the day" scam that does the rounds.

In the same vein, there is no need for people to report every individual email scam that does the rounds as the basic principle applies to ALL such emails. i.e. Never open an email from someone you don't recognise, simply delete.
That may be your opinion but there are many lonely people who depend on their computers for company, but don't have knowledge of how people can scam them. They may be a little naive, but telling them it is their own fault, as you appear to be doing, doesn't help anyone.
I have seen programmes on TV where quite intelligent people have been conned by this kind of activity, and the con merchants will always find a story that somebody will believe...... otherwise they wouldn't do it!
Are you prepared to find all the people who may be conned in this way and explain to them how to stay safe... because some don't have anybody to explain how evil con merchants can steal their money?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top