Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Re: Should we share our new found tips?.

I wonder if anyone has clicked to turn their laptop off and glanced five or so minutes later and noticed it is still on, but in the "shutting down" mode that never seems to end?. If so, a long press on the start button will force it to close down.

When you next start up, you will be greeted by a screen that informs you you closed down in an unusual way, or words to that effect. Where the words start by clicking enter are highlighted, do just that, press on the enter key and off it goes.

You know what? I will now sit back to see if anyone says this is wrong, but I've done it often since someone told me about it and it's always worked.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:20 AM

I'm gettin' one of me 'eads!!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:23 AM

Lol @ EZ
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 09:36 AM

I'm not really interested, but I have one question. How big is your island, islandman?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
I wonder if anyone has clicked to turn their laptop off and glanced five or so minutes later and noticed it is still on, but in the "shutting down" mode that never seems to end?. If so, a long press on the start button will force it to close down.

When you next start up, you will be greeted by a screen that informs you you closed down in an unusual way, or words to that effect. Where the words start by clicking enter are highlighted, do just that, press on the enter key and off it goes.

You know what? I will now sit back to see if anyone says this is wrong, but I've done it often since someone told me about it and it's always worked.
The forced shutdown (by holding the power button down for 10sec+) has been available on M$ operating systems for some time but unless you have a problem with your machine it is not a wise move - it is intended to shut down a "locked up" machine, it is a feature of most electronic devices nowadays eg mobile phones, MP3 players etc

One danger is that the operating system could be updating/upgrading especially with WIN10 where upgrading is a continuous process. Also WIN 10 claims to have speeded up the operating system and in part has done this by fraud. For example it turns off the screen almost immediately the shut down button is clicked but continues updating files for some time after. this is particularly noticeable on a laptop

Unless you have some problem with your machine then you are better off letting nature take its course and allow the machine to shut itself down in its own time (as I say unless there is a problem). It should delete temporary files which otherwise clutter up your hard disk for example and prepare the machine to open with the same settings as it shut down if you changed something.

BTW are you sure that you are shutting the machine down? on some laptops pressing the on/off button momentarily actually puts it in sleep mode rather than shutting it down. You can change this in the control panel by searching for "power button"
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks Bruce. I have always wondered if the information I was given was correct, but because it does what I want, I have tended to think it was correct. As for windows 10, despite magazines filling their pages about that system, I have yet to use it simply because I'm running on steam with vista ultimate.
islandman
Dorset UK

28-03-2016, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I'm not really interested, but I have one question. How big is your island, islandman?
It depends Mr Ploppy which island you mean. I created that name years ago after spending many holidays on the Isles of Scilly where of the hundred or so, only 5 or 6 are inhabited and that's dependent on the tide. Each of them have their own name and each are unique in their own way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 11:48 AM

Sometimes when your lap top is really slow, it's worth minimising all the windows to see if there is an iTunes update in the background waiting to be clicked (or not- I hardly ever update iTunes as it always causes a problem).
islandman
Dorset UK

28-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sometimes when your lap top is really slow, it's worth minimising all the windows to see if there is an iTunes update in the background waiting to be clicked (or not- I hardly ever update iTunes as it always causes a problem).
Thanks, another one stored in the memory bank.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
It depends Mr Ploppy which island you mean.
Oops, I didn't realize you have more than one. How big is the one you spend most of your time on?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top