Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 02:11 PM

Re: Should we share our new found tips?.

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Oops, I didn't realize you have more than one. How big is the one you spend most of your time on?
Hi again Mr Ploppy, alas we no longer visit. I first started visiting the year Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon, I lay in bed listening, that was as a single guy, I then took my wife, then when we had children, then for our 21st and 40th anniversaries and our son had his honeymoon there. If you look through this link, you will see why it is so magical. They lie 28 miles off Lands End. We used to fly out by helicopter every year. Bumped into quite a number of well known people there. Our usual island was St Mary's, the largest but visited all others, even an uninhabited one, Samson.

Age, infirmity and cost prohibites further visits, but using the name islandman, reminds me of them every day.

https://www.visitislesofscilly.com/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 08:50 AM

Hello islandman - Generally speaking, people here will have found out enough about their computers to use them for coming to forums, otherwise your question wouldn't be getting read and answers given. This might not seem much knowledge but is perhaps more than realised. It has to at least include:

How to turn the computer on and off.
How to open, use and close a browser.
How to copy and paste.
How to use a browser.
How to upload a photo (maybe process it too).
How to use e-mail.

Also, I think those who have that knowledge will also know how to:

Shop online.
Bank online.
Search the Internet.

Although people might go about the above in slightly different ways, I'd say the knowledge/tips on how to do these things generally isn't worth sharing.

If you have the time and interest islandman, keep going deeper and deeper into computer and Internet topics. Apart from the interest that might be found, the benefits are that your computer always works well and you know how to avoid some of the problems we read about. Also, If you gain knowledge over and above just using the computer, it can sometimes become useful to others in forums when information/help is asked for.

I can recommend some forums dedicated to computer/Internet matters if you like but in summary, I don't think sharing tips in a general discussion forum for the sake of it will interest everyone.
islandman
Dorset UK
islandman is male  islandman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:06 AM

OK, point taken, will refrain from such posts in future.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by islandman ->
OK, point taken, will refrain from such posts in future.
Far be it from me to say what you should or shouldn't post about. The question was put up for discussion though and that's what I think. The anwer wasn't meant as a put-down.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:33 AM

One handy tip about smart phones. If parked outside a closed shop do not bother to say`OK google,is such and such place open?` You think I am joking?? I was there when a friend of mine did it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Hi

The most important tip about computers and smartphones, TVs etc is that when you get a new one always have a teenager at hand to set it up for you.

Instead of hours of frustration it is done in a fraction of the time.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Keep posting your threads Islandman, some of these will generate plenty of responses others may not. Not easy to judge which will take off. We used to have a thread on tips i believe, but with all the recent changes not sure if it still exists.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Keep posting your threads Islandman, some of these will generate plenty of responses others may not. Not easy to judge which will take off. We used to have a thread on tips i believe, but with all the recent changes not sure if it still exists.
well said Nom
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 10:14 AM

I found that the best way to learn was to experiment with my computer at work. That way it didn't matter to me if it all went wrong.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2016, 10:48 AM

If you have discovered something new and feel you want to share it, then please do so, as someone used to say "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it".
Hi Colin it is useful to hear of things other members have discovered thank you .
I am afraid my knowledge of computers is minimal and I managed to get by and do all the things I want to do all be it slowly.

I have found with computers it can be a good idea to 'leave well alone' .
A number of times I have been tempted to try something different and in the process have downloaded a nasty which was hiding within the thing I was downloading .

On other occasions I have managed to totally mess up my familiar layout and it took much tearing out of hair and tears of frustration to get it back .
So I tend to leave 'new improvements' to the more adventurous who have a better knowledge of computers than myself.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top