Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 08:34 PM

Re: TP-Link Wi-fi Range Extender....Advice Please..

I bought a range extender from the really useful shop (Clas Olson) but after several attempts to get it to work I failed miserably and returned it and got my money back.

I ended up moving my router to a more central position in the house and didn't need a range extender after all. I can even get a signal 'Down the yard' in the summer house, but after getting comfy in my chair with the sun shining through the window I always go to sleep.....

I should have bought an energy extender instead.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2016, 11:55 PM

We have one and have had no problem either installing it or using it.

Unfortunately, it was a couple of years ago now and I can't remember the installation procedure. However, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find the instruction leaflet somewhere (it's nearly midnight now). If I can, I'll get back to you.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have purchased a TP-Link AC 750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Model no. RE200) I thought it would be easy to set up but l can't seem to follow the instructions!
I just wondered if someone had one or similar and could give me simple advice!
Thank You if you can!
One of your problems could be either:

The default address of the router is the same as your main Wifi so your computer can't see it, you need to turn off your main wifi while you set it up preferably using the cable usually supplied and change its default address.

or

The default address of your extender is so different from your main wifi that your computer can't see it either.

Say your main wifi address is 192.168.1.1 and the default address of the extender is 192.168.2.1. You need to delve into the computer LAN settings turn off DHCP and give your computer a fixed address in this case say 192.168.2.12. From there it gets worse. Too complicated to go into here but as you have been advised google your device.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 09:31 AM

You shouldn't really need an extender in a domestic situation. If you do, you have a really poor router. The answer would be to buy a decent router rather than extend a crap one.

Some years ago I was using the router supplied to me by my broadband ISP. When the summer came I went out in the back garden with the intention of surfing the web on my laptop in the sun. I soon discovered the router was crap and couldn't provide a strong enough signal outside.

I simply popped down to my local Maplins shop and bought a new router (a Sitecom 300) for about Ģ30-Ģ40 and it provided a far superior range, no problem at all with reception in the garden.

You don't have to use the router supplied by your ISP. It's YOUR choice what router to plug into your broadband telephone socket. Get a decent one imo.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Meg, That made me laugh!
The words on the packaging make it sound so simple!! Even my daughter who is a teacher and is intelligent couldn't fathom it out. It did her head in!!
Oh my, I bought one of those too and couldnīt understand a word of the instructions. I got the computer people in to deal with it, it still wasnīt at all successful and messed up all kinds of things. Got the computer people back, got it all uninstalled, all settings had to be put right again and itīs still here, packed up in itīs box and will be given to the first person that wants it. I then had the router moved to a more "middle of the house" place, that worked well and the TP link quite simply wasnīt needed then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 12:33 PM

Would it help if you told us exactly what you did, Angel, step by step?
I know those instructions aren't exactly helpful, and it is possible that you may have inadvertently missed out an important step.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top