Join for free
Page 111 of 370 « First < 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:07 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Mups, yes, it sounds like your piriformis is acting up. I do your exercise too! If you are sitting in a chair an easy one is to cross your legs like a man - ankle of the sore side on the opposite knee - and slowly lean forward it makes for a very relieving stretch. OGF, if you think you have an injury as opposed to inflammation, I don't think I would try this quite yet.

Rolling the tennis ball works so well - especially in the car. Trigger point balls are also available that are harder than a tennis ball that also help relax the muscle. I situate mine under my bottom when I am driving or sitting for a while.

A roll of paper towels that's about 1/3 used up to do the same thing, at times putting it in various locations behind my back when I drive feels great.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 04:20 AM

Ruthio, I am sure that you already know that staying social is as important as exercise for general well-being as we get older. Your walking group not only sound fun, but it's two birds, one stone.... You'll have to give us a review on the The Post.

OGF, . I am really sorry that you are having a time of it stem to stern and that Mrs. OGF is feeling poorly as well. Time will tell on your injury, and the discipline right now will be behaving yourself long enough to heal. At least the weather begs for naps and days by the fire. I just hope that one of you feels well enough to make it to the kettle and the orange juice. Happier days ahead with spring to be sprung and the best walk of the year in August. We will remind you that you may not run down the aisle.

Floydy, you are learning what swimfeeders elegantly wrote in one word: adapt. Changing metabolism, increased risk for injury, general aging, and life means that we have to look at our fitness in a frequently changing way. That you are doing that means that you will continue to stay fit and active for decades with more benefits than downsides - like being tired all the time or catastrophically injured. I think mixing it up is a good thing, and it sounds like you are going to town on the reps. Ruthio, I am sure that you already know that staying social is as important as exercise for general well-being as we get older. Your walking group not only sound fun, but it's two birds, one stone.... You'll have to give us a review on the The Post.

OGF, . I am really sorry that you are having a time of it stem to stern, and that Mrs. OGF is feeling poorly as well. Time will tell on your injury, and the discipline right now will be behaving yourself long enough to heal. At least the weather begs for naps and days by the fire. I just hope that one of you feels well enough to make it to the kettle and the orange juice. Happier days ahead with spring to be sprung and the best walk of the year in August. We will remind you not to run.

Floydy, you are learning what swimfeeders elegantly wrote in one word: adapt. Changing metabolism, increased risk for injury, general aging, and life means that we have to look at our fitness in a frequently changing way. That you are doing that means that you will continue to stay fit and active for decades with more benefits than downsides - like being tired all the time or catastrophically injured. Well done on the reps. I think mixing it up is a good thing, and it sounds like you are going to town on the reps.

Swimfeeders, I somehow knew that when I asked the question, there would be a remarkable story behind your board breaking. I don't think I could manage the level of self defense that you describe, but it is very impressive. It's even better that you are planning to do some backpacking with Guy in the future - perhaps even the newly discovered ruins in Guatemala. Hiking was one of the few activities my daughter could manage when she was sick and I am convinced that it worked like an enzyme in fueling her recovery. I recently read an article about a group of climbers who were summiting Kilimanjaro, all of whom had lost a leg, so if they can.....

Swimfeeders, I somehow knew that when I asked the question, there would be a remarkable story behind your board breaking. I don't think I could manage the level of self defense that you describe, but it is very impressive. It's even better that you are planning to do some backpacking with Guy in the future - perhaps even the newly discovered ruins in Guatemala. Hiking was one of the few activities my daughter could manage when she was sick and I am convinced that it worked like an enzyme in fueling her recovery. I recently read an article about a group of climbers who were summiting Kilimanjaro, all of whom had lost a leg, so if they can.....

Also, I ran today. Unfortunately, there are no more letters left in the alphabet.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 11:40 AM

I have arthritis so it is important I have daily exercise. I have a 25 minute walk every day of the year, Christmas Day included. I usually go about 7am, I like to get it over and done with, as I can't say I enjoy walking much. I also have an air walker and spend some time on that each day, as well as using the exercise bike. I do some mild aerobics too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have arthritis so it is important I have daily exercise. I have a 25 minute walk every day of the year, Christmas Day included. I usually go about 7am, I like to get it over and done with, as I can't say I enjoy walking much. I also have an air walker and spend some time on that each day, as well as using the exercise bike. I do some mild aerobics too.
Excellent Tara, you certainly have some determination to keep mobile, I know how hard it is sometimes to turn out in all weathers, but I've never failed to be invigorated after returning home from fighting with the elements. Mrs Fox likes to walk early morning like yourself, but I think keeping her weight in check is her main reason for her early morning jaunts. Although, she often returns home excited about a flock of geese that passed overhead gabbling to each other as though they dispute the navigational skills of the leader, or a spectacular sunrise she witnessed. Not to mention the gaggle of baby ducks following their mother on the canal. I think your (and Mrs Foxes) early morning walks provide a lot more that exercise Tara.....
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Excellent Tara, you certainly have some determination to keep mobile, I know how hard it is sometimes to turn out in all weathers, but I've never failed to be invigorated after returning home from fighting with the elements. Mrs Fox likes to walk early morning like yourself, but I think keeping her weight in check is her main reason for her early morning jaunts. Although, she often returns home excited about a flock of geese that passed overhead gabbling to each other as though they dispute the navigational skills of the leader, or a spectacular sunrise she witnessed. Not to mention the gaggle of baby ducks following their mother on the canal. I think your (and Mrs Foxes) early morning walks provide a lot more that exercise Tara.....
The only time I won't go out for walk is if there is a thunderstorm, I was very nearly struck by lightning, about 15 or so years ago, on a visit to my home island.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Mups, yes, it sounds like your piriformis is acting up. I do your exercise too! If you are sitting in a chair an easy one is to cross your legs like a man - ankle of the sore side on the opposite knee - and slowly lean forward it makes for a very relieving stretch. OGF, if you think you have an injury as opposed to inflammation, I don't think I would try this quite yet.

Rolling the tennis ball works so well - especially in the car. Trigger point balls are also available that are harder than a tennis ball that also help relax the muscle. I situate mine under my bottom when I am driving or sitting for a while.

A roll of paper towels that's about 1/3 used up to do the same thing, at times putting it in various locations behind my back when I drive feels great.

Thanks very much for that Surfermom, I'll give that a try too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Sorry guys I've been messing about on the Jesus thread and I'm afraid I've been negling you all on here.....

Mups, .......Thanks for your best wishes and I'm sure my injury and head code will soon be a thing of the past. I have done quite a bit of research on the Piriformis Muscle and do participate in the wonderful exercises you have mentioned.
However, the Piriformis is difficult to treat as is obscured by the largest muscle in your body, I introduce the 'Gluteus Maximus' ...No it isn't a Roman Legionnaire, it makes up the rounded shape of your buttock, and to gain access to the piriformis it is necessary to penetrate this big old muscle with deep massage. But be careful not to annoy the sciatic nerve that lies close by or else all manner of pestilence will descend upon you....

Surfermom. Is there an 'Echo' in here?....
You are correct in your assumption that I now have sustained an injury.
With just a niggle prior to Tuesday's run it could have been manipulated and perhaps prevented. Also being very cold on that fateful morning, and still sporting the most skimpy of shorts, I suspect was the final straw that broke the camels back (or piriformis damage)... Ligaments tend to shorten in the cold, and an already inflamed Muscle just gave up the struggle.....

I believe that any kind of interference by massage would not encourage healing at this stage, I must allow the damage to repair before any stretching or manipulation should be attempted. But every cloud.......The virus or 'Man Flu' that I am experiencing is making it very easy to resist the temptation to run. Also, the medication (1000mg Paracetamol) of Tesco's finest fix it powder is also working to remove the pain from the injury as well.

Unfortunately I'm scheduled (with Mrs Fox) to attend a twenty first birthday party on Saturday night. It's quite a ways away (you know how I like driving) so I've booked a room at the nearest motorway services (Motel) but I'm afraid it's going to be a struggle. Cancelling is not an option because the charming Charlotte would be gutted....I can hear the kettle beconning me for my next hot lemon so I'll catch yer later....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-02-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Sorry to hear you're poorly Foxy, get some VitC+zinc fizzies and take 2 or 3 a day for now, they really help.

http://www.boots.com/boots-vitamin-c...blets-10149616

This morning I joined the local walking group over on The Common and we walked three miles, so I'm pleased about that

This afternoon I intend to reward myself and collapse in the cinema to see The Post
Thanks Ruthio, I will do as you suggest and up my vit C....
By the time you read this you will have probably been to see 'The Post'..I went to see it on Monday. After hearing that Chris Evans (the DJ) had fallen asleep half way through I wasn't expecting it to be any good. What a surprise it was, beautifully acted by Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, it gave me a new enthusiasm about the media and freedom of speech. It's just a pity that when there isn't enough news about they cause so much mischief.

I hope you enjoy the movie, I followed it with a Fish and Chip supper almost as good as the film but twice as expensive.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The only time I won't go out for walk is if there is a thunderstorm, I was very nearly struck by lightning, about 15 or so years ago, on a visit to my home island.
They always say "You never hear the one that hits you" Tara....Best not to chance it though in my opinion....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info Foxy, that is interesting.
I will try and make sure my tennis ball is in the right place. x

Page 111 of 370 « First < 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top