Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 07:26 AM

Dogs

I wonder if Dogs get lonely? After we lost our last Dog, I vowed never to have another, but, got out voted by the family. We have had Maisie for four years now, and she sticks to me like glue, it's like being stalked around the house and garden, is it because she is lonely, does anyone else have a Dog like this.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 07:44 AM

Re: Dogs

Dogs are pack animals so I would expect that they do need company, and where there are no other dogs a human can substitute that company. I have also found this with horses!

Cats are not social animals and like to be alone, but they soon adjust to having all meals provided and lots of attention. For cats, I don't think loneliness causes this, they just feel that they have upgraded from a tent to a 5* hotel
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 07:53 AM

When I come in from my daily duties, I get my shady seat in the Garden, a cup of Tea, and set the IPad for a game of Sudoku. Maisie is there, not one but two tennis balls in her mouth, all slimy from being licked, she gets most insistent they are thrown for her, I thought she would calm with age, but no signs yet, she is a Staffie Patterdale cross, does the Patterdale in her have something to do with it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
When I come in from my daily duties, I get my shady seat in the Garden, a cup of Tea, and set the IPad for a game of Sudoku. Maisie is there, not one but two tennis balls in her mouth, all slimy from being licked, she gets most insistent they are thrown for her, I thought she would calm with age, but no signs yet, she is a Staffie Patterdale cross, does the Patterdale in her have something to do with it.
Look at it this way, she may be bored. If I was in your garden, having been alone all day, I would probably try to interrupt your Sudoku to get some attention. Even my lazy cats expect me to run round the house or garden, pulling a long piece of string with a soft toy mouse attached to it. They get bored now they no longer have to search for their own food!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-06-2017, 08:13 AM

Ok, before I go out tomorrow, I will hide her food bowl somewhere in the garden.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

25-06-2017, 08:26 AM

Ok, before I go out tomorrow, I will hide her food bowl somewhere in the garden.
You rotter! Maisie wants to play... if she was a shapely blonde lady I am sure you would find the time to play with her!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:37 AM

My little JR is just the same. It's just the sort of pure love you get from your dog that you rarely get from any other pet. Goldfish? No chance!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:41 AM

There is your answer Paul Maisie like many dogs loves to play games. Her breed traits also predispose her to having a high prey drive making play even more rewarding for her.

Having once played ball with her every time you do so you are reinforced her desire to play because she finds the experience so rewarding .

Chloe is the same, she usually brings a squeaky squirrel rather than a ball . If I ignore the behaviour she will put the toy on my knee and 'play bow'.

Chloe is 10 years old, I don't expect her to 'calm down' but to continue a behaviour she finds rewarding until her last breath.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Maisie sounds adorable, I agree with twink...play with her she wants your attention! Either that or get her a pal, another puppy perhaps

That should scare him into playing with her more twinks
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

25-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Maisie sounds adorable, I agree with twink...play with her she wants your attention! Either that or get her a pal, another puppy perhaps

That should scare him into playing with her more twinks
I can sense him trembling as we speak Summer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top