Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 07:42 PM

Any Suggestions?

When we got Bobby from the dogs trust he had a dew claw missing,from time to time he catches the area and makes it bleed,then gets an infection.Our vet gives him anti biotics and inflamotory pills, but she has said if he keeps getting infections she will have to remove part of his pad,she says this will not affect his walking /running , but I dont want to have this done. But dont know what else can be done.He wouldnt keep a bandage /sock on all the time.Has anyone here had any experience like this ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 08:30 PM

Re: Any Suggestions?

Hi deylon, didn't this happen not so long ago as well?

It is hard to comment much without seeing his paw of course, but if he has no dew claws any more, I don't understand what there is to catch on anything?

It is often the dew claws that protrude and catch on things, but if these have been removed, what is left to catch on anything?

Is the pad itself that tears do you mean?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 08:56 PM

Have it removed ! Our old Benny had a similar problem after we had it removed he was so happy, it didn't take long to heal and it was the end of the sock and the soreness for him.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have it removed ! Our old Benny had a similar problem after we had it removed he was so happy, it didn't take long to heal and it was the end of the sock and the soreness for him.

But Julie, have WHAT removed? I understood the dew claws have already gone.

I am a wee bit rusty on this now, but as I recall, puppy dew claws need to be removed before they are 5 days old. It is a relatively quick and simple procedure at this age.

In adults it is a bit more involved and needs a general anaesthetic. I believe they take the whole pad away and it needs stitching.
This is why if deylon's dog has already had his removed, I cannot see what there is to still keep catching on anything, unless it was never done properly.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 08:11 PM

Every so often the poiny where the dew claw was becomes inflamed, bleeds a git and becomes infected/He is a tall dog and tears around our garden playing like a mad thing at times,which is when he seems to catch it.I presume our vet means to remove the pad where the claw was

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top