Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 10:00 PM

Re: Dash Board Camera

I'm please to say that my dashcam features both GPS mapping and a shock sensor, in addition to recording my speed.

Just my personal preference, of course.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Nope. GPS is pointless. If you had your dashcam running then there will be the entire footage of your journey showing exactly how you travelled to reach the point where the accident occurred. No ambiguity possible TBH unless you are driving through a desert or somewhere with absolutely no recognisable landmarks and of course devoid of road signs. GPS just adds a totally unnecessary expense.

Yep I get that but as I pointed out (or tried to) it's a pointless gimmick because once you have had an accident, the very first thing you are going to do is remove the flash card or connect the cam to your PC as soon as you get home to both review the footage and make a copy of it. You'd be a total Dill not to do that. There is absolutely no chance that you would continue running your dashcam on loop for the next week without taking a copy of the accident so an overwrite is just not gonna happen is it? Sales gimmick, nothing more.

If the front camera can't see someone running into the back of you then you have nothing of any use either way. What use is a shock sensor telling you that someone ran into the back of you if there is no footage of it? The front cam will quite readily show the impact from the jolt so again, just a gimmick.

All you need is reliable loop recording, decent sized flash card and a camera that is extremely small and portable.
Or you could have a front and rear cameras that has wifi so you can view the footage instantly ( mine does this)
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 10:09 PM

Yehbut I bet doesn't come in a duck egg blue.

I thought I knew what I wanted in a dash cam but all this willie waving has put me off, I think I will google the car review sites and see what the insurers and the experts say
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Presumably, you will only be incriminating yourself if you are breaking the law by speeding .....

Having a dash-cam makes you more aware of your speed and encourages you to drive more carefully in my view.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Having a dash-cam makes you more aware of your speed and encourages you to drive more carefully in my view.
No doubt that is true for most drivers but not all .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Which I do anyway...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 01:26 AM

Isn't that what cruise control is for? Dashcams being automatically on hardly remind you of anything certainly not your speed.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Isn't that what cruise control is for? Dashcams being automatically on hardly remind you of anything certainly not your speed.
Some cams now come with speed alerts and even lane departure warnings,!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Being a backward and poverty-stricken Yorkshireman, I can't afford a car with cruise control. Also, on our primitive and congested road system a cruise control would for ever be turned off when we have to brake at every junction... or slow down behind a couple of cyclists monopolising the lane by riding two abreast.

My car does, however, have a speedometer.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 03:46 PM

You only use cruise control on motorways not on the crowded roads we have over here. The dashcam makes you more conscious of keeping your speed within the limits imposed because the video footage can work for or against you.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top