Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 10:45 PM

Testing a New Mirrorless Camera

I'm running field tests on my new lightweight small camera that has changeable lenses and a mirrorless design. This makes the camera very small with the 18-55mm lens aboard. It adds up to just one pound and that's with an APS-C sensor. That's the same size as my Nikon D7000.

The camera & lens are very sharp indeed with good low light sensitivity. Reports have it useable up to ISO 3200, very respectable for a small camera. It's 16.1 megapixel sensor creates well exposed sharp photos in both RAW & Jpeg formats. I found the Jpegs less noisy than the RAW files at the same ISO. I'm going to get a lot of use out of this camera.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 05:54 AM

Re: Testing a New Mirrorless Camera

Sounds an over due idea to me. For the life of me I have never understood the point of a digital SLR. I can well appreciate the need for interchangeable lenses but a mirror? no...

Surely the whole point of a digital camera is that the viewed image is exactly that that will be recorded, a mechanical mirror seems an anachronism and totally superfluous.

On that basis surely even a compact digital camera is actually the same as the old single lens reflex camera but without the interchangeable lens, the cumbersome mirror and equally cumbersome mechanical focal plane curtain shutter (disregarding in this instance lens quality). Or have I missed the point?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Stunning photos Bob

I don't understand the ins and out of photography but am pleased that you like your new camera ..... keeps your pics coming!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:Sounds an over due idea to me. For the life of me I have never understood the point of a digital SLR. I can well appreciate the need for interchangeable lenses but a mirror? no...

Surely the whole point of a digital camera is that the viewed image is exactly that that will be recorded, a mechanical mirror seems an anachronism and totally superfluous.

On that basis surely even a compact digital camera is actually the same as the old single lens reflex camera but without the interchangeable lens, the cumbersome mirror and equally cumbersome mechanical focal plane curtain shutter (disregarding in this instance lens quality). Or have I missed the point?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It's all about weight. Eliminate the prism viewfinder containing the mirror & motor moving it and you don't need the bulk. Ny new NEX-5N has the same sensor as my D7000 Nikon DSLR so the resolution and quality are there. Reducing the size of the optics is equally simple, less costly and lighter. My Nikon 18-200 weighs about 16 oz. where the NEX's 55-210 weighs 12.1 oz.

My DSLRs will outperform the mirrorless cameras if you are looking for finer grain, higher resolution and intend to print. These days I print 1 out of 1,000 photos I capture so the smaller, lighter, cheaper Sony NEX-5N will suit my needs. I am keeping both my D7000 & D800.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Absolutely stunning photographs. I too am a numpty when it come to photography. I am a point and shoot person
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Is it a born in Manchester handicap.... I am the same ... with most things really!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2012, 05:26 PM

No annie, it's a can't be bothered to learn all about all the J peg, ISO, digital interchangeable wotsits..with or without APS-C sensors. It's all gobbledegook isn't it?
But it takes nice photos Bob.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

23-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Is it a born in Manchester handicap.... I am the same ... with most things really!
Not at all Annie, this little old lad from E6 has never mastered it. I always had trouble in getting one of those them there exposures left numbers to stop in the little red window on the Brownie. It might have explained why half a picture used to show up in the next one along.

Hydraulic circuit diagrams on various transmissions held no mysteries but the dark art of producing an even reasonable snap eludes me to this day.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Are the lenses made by Sony as well? Interesting to hear this stands up to your Nikon so well.
bobmielke
Portland, OR

24-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Are the lenses made by Sony as well? Interesting to hear this stands up to your Nikon so well.
Sony makes their own lenses. They are extremely high quality. Look at the quality of this shot taken with the Sony at breakfast this morning. It's very sharp with great color saturation. Sony Alpha NEX-5N with 18-55mm lens aboard.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top