Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 06:36 AM

Re: "America First" says Donald.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it's expensive because of tax and those taxes go to the NHS to pay for the conditions caused by the vices...
Not the best point to make when talking to an American.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 07:07 AM

it's expensive because of tax and those taxes go to the NHS to pay for the conditions caused by the vices...
Which props up the NHS?
Perhaps those with vices should begrudge paying for those that have none?

Smokerss bring in about £12 billion a year in tobacco tax alone.
That doesn't include tax paid by those employed by the industry.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ever heard of Malaria??? - Know the causes of it???

Ever heard of Bilharzia??? - Know the causes of it???
Most people have heard of these diseases .
They are not caused by proximity to water .
They are parasitic diseases caused by parasites that are carried by mosquitoes and water snails
Mosquitos flourish in still water .
Both diseases can be treated .
It's good hygienic practices that prevent these diseases and these have to be put into practice by the governments of these countries .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Most people have heard of these diseases .
They are not caused by proximity to water .
They are parasitic diseases caused by parasites that are carried by mosquitoes and water snails
Mosquitos flourish in still water .
Both diseases can be treated .
It's good hygienic practices that prevent these diseases and these have to be put into practice by the governments of these countries .

Yes I do know all that, but since you appear to demean my questions, why don't you go camp out somewhere near pond in the African bush and see if you get bitten by a malaria carrying mosquito, or try drinking the pond water and see if happen to get bilharzia.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Which props up the NHS?
Perhaps those with vices should begrudge paying for those that have none?

Smokerss bring in about £12 billion a year in tobacco tax alone.
That doesn't include tax paid by those employed by the industry.
When you put it like that, it would seem that those with vices should demand a refund on their healthcare contributions!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 08:24 AM

When you put it like that, it would seem that those with vices should demand a refund on their healthcare contributions!
Not at all.....we are a generous bunch
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes I do know all that, but since you appear to demean my questions, why don't you go camp out somewhere near pond in the African bush and see if you get bitten by a malaria carrying mosquito, or try drinking the pond water and see if happen to get bilharzia.
You don't like logical explanations UJ
And you had no problem in demeaning Tpins very revelant question .
In fact many rural communities do live near water it's a source of both transport and livelihood .
And has been throughout the ages .
I have lived in the tropics all of my life where mosquitoes abound biharzia too.
Obviously I didn't drink out of stagnant ponds but have always drank the tap water but even in third world countries certain steps are taken .
Ie water is always covered in order to stop mosquitoes breeding .
Water is easily sterilised by the addition of just a few drops of bleach .
Filtering through sand is another way .
Boiling is obvious (but sometimes difficult where there is lack of fuel )
Africa is one of these countries where people really never seem to take on board the measures that work in other countries.
Decades of aid and water schemes should have by now make some difference.
Lack of mantence and care is the reason many water aids schemes fail wells collapse and pumps break down
People In Africa or at least their governments have to learn how to maintain these projects themselves .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 10:49 AM

Not sure why we are having a protracted debate about the dangers mosquitos, but malaria is a deadly disease. According to MSF 2.2m people were treated last year and 660,000 die from it each year. I've never heard of the other disease but it doesn't sound very nice either.

I agree with Julie that rivers are polluted and spread diseases.

Charities such as Water Aid seem the most sensible way to provide communities with local clean and safe water supplies and sanitation. This also enables people to stay where they are instead of uprooting them.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Not the best point to make when talking to an American.
Taxes lets see,about .85cents on fuel for road repairs and such and about $1.00 on cigs for all sorts of stuff and beer well you can still get a draft beer around here for $1.00 so not too bad.Oh they even tax food here in Alabama,most places don't.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You don't like logical explanations UJ
And you had no problem in demeaning Tpins very revelant question .
In fact many rural communities do live near water it's a source of both transport and livelihood .
And has been throughout the ages .
I have lived in the tropics all of my life where mosquitoes abound biharzia too.
Obviously I didn't drink out of stagnant ponds but have always drank the tap water but even in third world countries certain steps are taken .
Ie water is always covered in order to stop mosquitoes breeding .
Water is easily sterilised by the addition of just a few drops of bleach .
Filtering through sand is another way .
Boiling is obvious (but sometimes difficult where there is lack of fuel )
Africa is one of these countries where people really never seem to take on board the measures that work in other countries.
Decades of aid and water schemes should have by now make some difference.
Lack of mantence and care is the reason many water aids schemes fail wells collapse and pumps break down
People In Africa or at least their governments have to learn how to maintain these projects themselves .
She's right UJ,Ya gotta go out in the world to experience it.I am not an armchair know it all,experience is wonderful.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top