Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 12:15 AM

Re: Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

I don't have a single appliance in my house which isn't off and unplugged when not in use. TV's, routers, recorders...the lot. Its down to burning electric via mains transformers even when the widget is 'off' - there is still a quiescent current draw - albeit a very small one. A lot of these transformers do not even have fuses. I even refuse to have mains powered phones in the house.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 12:22 AM

Everything is switched off in this household too before retiring to bed, apart from the washing machine and dishwasher, because you have to rummage through the cupboards to turn them off
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 01:11 AM

I always turn my rooter, modem and TV off, before I go to bed. TV need turning off, they are the main cause of fires at night.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 11:03 AM

We turn most things off at night and when not in use, the only things that get left on are the heating (especially this time of year), the washing machine which does not use that much when not in use and the phones.

There are people around us who have every light in the house on most of the time when it is dark, one lady who lives on her own has 9 rooms with the lights on most evenings.

Our carbon footprint is almost half of the national average.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 12:24 PM

We turn off just about everything at night, but don't unplug - I just turn the switch off on the power point. Now I know I should I turn the router off as well.

Interesting about carbon footprints AB. How did you calculate your household's footprint? I have been onto Warwick University's site and calculated ours, but it didn't include our share of the factory emissions and other shared things.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Rena, there are lots of carbon footprint calculators on line similar to this one
http://www.conservation.org/act/live...FVGKfAodwwn8oA

I used the one sent to me from Energy Savings Trust when I had the cavity wall insulation done.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 04:55 PM

The large plug on the router gets really hot and I always turn it off when I am not using it, actually I unplug it as I worry about fire living in a wooden house.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Rena, there are lots of carbon footprint calculators on line similar to this one
http://www.conservation.org/act/live...FVGKfAodwwn8oA

I used the one sent to me from Energy Savings Trust when I had the cavity wall insulation done.
Thanks AB - I've just done the one you gave and it came out different to the one I used
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:34 PM

I turn everything off before I go to bed...just a precaution on my part, better to be safe than sorry.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:40 PM

I don't turn mine off, my son told me not to I can't remember why

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top