Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 12:04 AM

Re: Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

Mine is plugged in 24/7 as I was also told it should be.I used to leave it in the Lappy also when it was turned off but don't do that now
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't turn mine off, my son told me not to I can't remember why
Same here Meg, my son told me to leave mine on as well ......and he works all day long with computers
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Same here Meg, my son told me to leave mine on as well ......and he works all day long with computers
...so does mine when he was about 12 he started a computer business in his bedroom and now employs 14 people (they are in an office not in the bedroom though ).
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...so does mine when he was about 12 he started a computer business in his bedroom and now employs 14 people (they are in an office not in the bedroom though ).

I'm pleased to hear that Meg!
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 05:00 AM

We switch ours off at night unless I happen to be recording something onto our Sky Planner late at night, in that case I leave it switched on that night.

(I'm having one of my slepless nights!).
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2012, 05:02 PM

My wife will not have a wireless router in the house.

Unfortunately she is very susceptible to electro magnetic fields and associated geopathic stress and so we have to make do with hard wired connections in shielded cables.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 02:23 AM

There's no need to unplug everything, provided the sockets are switched to the off position. The only ones I don't switch to off are the kettle, washing machine and fridge (because I can't get to them) and my deep freeze. Can't imagine the mess if I switched my freezer off every night.
SandraB
New Member!
West Midlands, UK
SandraB is female 

25-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Our Sky box and router are both left on all the time, apart from when we go on holiday, at which times we will leave the router on but unplug the Sky box. Obviously, the fridge/freezer is left plugged in and so is the washing machine, again the latter being unplugged when we go away.

I used to work for a company that investigated fires on behalf of insurers and after that I would NEVER leave my TV on standby. It is always unplugged at night and at any other time that it is not actually switched on. I have seen the result of too many fires caused by TVs left on standby.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 08:37 AM

I'm with the majority here. I have a wireless and wired household and leave the modem/router on all the time partly because it has VOIP built in. From a financial point of view turning off the device at night would save me about $12 a year so definitely not worth the effort.

The wireless side of things has WPA-2 security which I am assured is pretty well uncrackable.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 08:58 AM

I'm still not sure whether to turn off the wireless broadband connection at night etc. or not. I have been turning it off because a while ago someone said it was important to do it so as not to be at risk of somebody nearby using my connection.
I have just changed from Norton 360 to McAfee Total Protection and my son came round yesterday to install it. He laughed at me because I had turned everything off and asked what was I worried about - alluding to men in raincoats lurking round corners and trying to get onto my computer. So I am now back to thinking I will leave it on - but I am not 100% sure

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top