Join for free
Page 61 of 1676 « First < 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 561 1061 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

GOODNESS, what sort of GEnie have we released?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 10:00 PM

There is only one Genie I want released from a bottle, he poses on the label in a black hat and long cloak.

He stands in the cellar in a cape of black
A mystery to us all
Takes a bottle of Port from the rack
And carries it down the hall.

He serves me at my leisure
Pouring to perfection
By God the man’s a treasure
And a very wise selection.

Who needs maids or a local handyman
You've got all you need in a bottle of Sandeman.

(Mr Sandeman & Co. please note, and I await, a crate, before Christmas, thonk yoo)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2016, 10:51 PM

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…” Best opening to any story I have ever read, that Dickens chap certainly had a fine head on his shoulders.
I love a classic opening, words that stay in your mind forever. My old mate Gerry used to be a jobbing builder before he retired, he married a girl from the local hardware shop, Gerry always wanted to be a writer and not a builder, his big problem in achieving his goal was that he could not talk for long without bringing up something to do with his work, it was as if work was a monkey on his back that he couldn't shake off, it came into everything with him. When they were five years married his wife asked him to write a short love story for her, now Gerry hasn’t a romantic bone in his body, he wanted to be a writer of cowboy adventure stories (and he never having seen a cow in his life), anyway he gave in to her, now that’s fair enough but when he started asking my opinion on his efforts it became a bit embarrassing for me, you don’t want to discourage him and at the same time you don’t want him pestering you with his writings every time you drop in for a quite pint and a read of the paper, and why pick on me to say if it was good or bad? I wouldn’t have a clue, but if I like something I’ll say it, I did however say to him that if he tried to keep work out of his story his wife would love it all the more. After several weeks he still hadn’t the opening line he wanted. Then one Sunday morning he approached the table I was sitting at, his face was beaming with delight as he spoke “Jem I got a classic opening to me story if ever there was one” and he took the pages from his inside pocket “Just listen to this, “She knew I loved her from the start…it was plastered all over my face”
I finished me pint, nearly choking in the process and told him I had to dash off, me house was on fire.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 11:30 AM

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Jem. I should have explained that. inspired by your Dickensian quote, I have copied my favourite book opening lines. Can you guess which book?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 01:47 PM

I think I know what it is, only because I have heard them spoken on a record.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 02:09 PM

was it Noddy goes to town??

Carribo – I used to do the bossanova and would even try the tango but Vienna waltzes were not my style. I was known to climb up steeples and engage with other peoples but doing a mean fandango was never my best stride. I’ve even done limbo dancing and sat on horses as they were prancing but walking down the high street with a bagpipe wasn’t on. I have climbed up mountains naked but an orgasm known to fake it but now I’m in my bath chair and ready for the grave. But just before I cark it my bath chair I will park it and do a last fandango with the poodle of my choice!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Where is that Puggy fellow?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Where is that Puggy fellow?
he doesn't think we love him anymore!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

03-08-2016, 09:09 PM

SEMINAL.... my word for today.

Page 61 of 1676 « First < 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 561 1061 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top