Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

18-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Re: Why did you have children?

My youngest sister decided never to have any children from a very young age, about eleven, I think. Her husband never wanted any either. She is in her mid 50s now, and never regretted the decision not to have kids, even though all her sisters have them. Our mother used to give her grief about it, which was so silly!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 10:36 AM

No body else business, unless you have them then expect someone else to look after them. I said as a teenager never wanted children would have a litter of pups instead. My 'happy accident' came along 1 yr before we were due to get married, never thought about it he was there, just got on with it but made sure there were no more, and we did the best we could for him, with lots of love too. Over the years I realized although we only had 1 child we always had someone else with us. Looking back I think I wish I'd had another 2 (always find dogs are less trouble in 3's). Son went on to have 3 children and me and Danny were heavily involved in the aspects of their upbringing that their parents weren't, swimming lessons, days out, weekends away etc. all the fun things. Funny I'm always talking to babies and toddlers though, and children talk to me.
Each to their own if you want children have them if you don't then don't have them.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
If you didn't want children then obviously you wouldn't want grandchildren either. I'm afraid all young children are an irritance to me. Give me animals any time.
Other peoples' children can irritate me too - especially those belonging to "liberal" parents who seem to think that they can bring up kids without exerting any kind of discipline whatsoever (and then wonder why they have "uncontrollable" teenagers and irresponsible adults).

My own kids (and their kids) are wonderful though, and life would be so much greyer without them. Not that I would want to live without my amazing dogs either (we have 12). Kids, dogs and grandkids - that's what makes the warm and wonderful madhouse we call home!
This was the whole brood (pre grandchildren and sans dogs) at our wedding 20 years ago:

Willow
UK
Willow is female 

18-02-2013, 12:06 PM

I enjoy the company of my grandchildren, I have three of them for the day on Wednesday as they are on half-term. But I must admit it is good to hand them back to their parents at the end of the day.

I find it hard to understand why some people could possibly prefer animals to children, but each to their own, I suppose.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I find it hard to understand why some people could possibly prefer animals to children, but each to their own, I suppose.
Well, from a practical point of view, you can't shut children in the kitchen all day whilst you go to work or go out for the night and you can't book children in a human kennels to have a holiday on your own. Just saying ....
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Are we not all humans ? Communicating with humans is very different to having children to raise, I had a very strong maternal instinct as have others in this thread but many women don't. Or they channel it into other areas like animals, along side the children we parented we always had dogs and the kids would tell you they all had equal status and time in our house were often referred to as brothers and sisters of the dogs. And now they have moved out the dogs have centre stage, certainly wouldn't want any more children as the dogs are now our babies.

Better to admit a person doesn't want children than have several they don't connect with or want.

I admire women who can say it, the world has often been quite hostile to women who say they don't want children and they face a lot of questioning and comments.
Well said Julie I'm afraid Mall has it in for me because of my comments re religeon but I spoke my mind. It is after all a discussion forum.

For the record Mall I communicate well with humans and have a number of good friends. I just don't like children in the same way that others don't like dogs. We are after all all different.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:36 PM

You misunderstand me. I don't have it in for you at all. As for your opinions about religion, it makes not a jot of difference what you think, it will not impact in any way on my life
But you do have a problem with small humans and you have said so on more than one occasion.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Well, from a practical point of view, you can't shut children in the kitchen all day whilst you go to work or go out for the night and you can't book children in a human kennels to have a holiday on your own. Just saying ....
I wish that were true - over the course of my career working with young people I saw innumerable occasions where children were treated much worse than dogs!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
(Unless for "kennels" subsititue "sending the kids to the grandparents" while you take a holiday).

I would say you shouldn't shut a dog away all day in a kitchen whilst going to work and I wouldn't do it. It's no life (long term) for a social animal like a dog - even with another doggy companion. There is no doubt that dogs and other animals are not such a vital committment as children have to be, so in that respect it is easier - inevitably we don't invest as much in them, but they do have needs in common with children (For Willow - No, I don't think my dogs are actually my substitute children nor do I treat them like children). However, is there really much difference in the beginning between a litter of puppies and a human baby. The puppy grows up quicker, ultimately needing less from you, but both should have their needs met one way or another to ensure they grow up happily and fulfil their potential according to their capacity. I have been lucky enough to have had (and still have) dogs, litters of puppies and children in my life, although dogs and other animals came along first. I agree 100% with what Mick says in his post. Life would be greyer without them all.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2013, 01:47 PM

Dogs always had the run of the house, and we never holidayed abroad so dogs came with us in caravan and minibus, could accommodate everything and everyone. Dogs and grandkids we've even taken the ferrets, all came for weekends away, days out. Grandkids very useful for doing gardening and cleaning windows etc.

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top