Join for free
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 10 11 12
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Re: Dangerous Dogs Act

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have just read a very unpleasant article involving the League Against Cruel Sports work.
A Staffy was found which had been used for only 2 purposes it's entire life.
The first purpose was as a 'Bait Dog' for the dog fighters to trial their fighting dogs on. This bitch had many old injuries to her face, eyes, and stomach.
One eye was seriously damaged due to being repeatedly punched, probably by her owners.
Her tongue was ripped and ragged, and her teeth had been crudely broken with pliers.
On top of this, her second purpose was to repeatedly breed puppies to be sold and trained for more fighting dogs.

It is extreme cases like this, that made me make my earlier comment about it can be wrong to condemn some dogs for their brutality without knowing a thing about their miserable existence and what made them act the way they did.

Some have been brutally forced into fights all their life, they know nothing else. Put that with a child who has not been taught any dog awareness whatsoever, and the outcome is probably inevitable.
I agree but I'm never sure we do the best for them by trying to make them pets, our late Duncan when he came to us had been in a shed for his entire life was scared of trees, grass, people almost everything, I'm not convinced we did the best for him by trying to mend him. He was never really happy, we loved him and did our best but would he have been better euthanased ? We ask our selves that question a lot.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:13 AM

I am not saying all dogs can be rehabilitated Julie, I don't believe they can.
I am merely saying in some cases, there are accidents waiting to happen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:29 AM

Sorry I got that I was just musing on the point they may not be able to be helped. I think we are both agreeing really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sorry I got that I was just musing on the point they may not be able to be helped. I think we are both agreeing really.

Yes, I think we are, too. Some dogs that have been pushed too far are best PTS for everyone's sake, including their own.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 09:24 AM

Sorry I have come to this discussion late - I've not been around on here much lately (real life getting in the way of digital life).
A couple of points:

1. I find it deeply ironic that the RSPCA should now be campaigning against BSL when they were one of the main architects of The DDA. But then we shouldn't be surprised at their hypocrisy.

2. I was opposed to the DDA at the time and still am, however, any legislation is only as effective as the clarity of its regulations and resources (human and financial) allocated to enforce it. So. although I believe that the DDA was wrong in concept, it never stood a chance as it was never enforced. On the council estates in my area, (I'm not being snobby - I live on one!) whereas before DDA there were a tiny handful of pit bulls - owned by the local drug dealers, there are now hundreds owned by ordinary families - many of whom don't have a clue what kind of dog they have ("He's some sort of staffie cross"). So, far from improving the situation, the DDA has worsened it a hundredfold. The only prosecutions seem to have been easy target "show cases" involving harmless family pets. The police haven't had either the time or the bottle to go after the really irresponsible owners.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2016, 09:28 AM

So very true mick late to the thread but spot on about legislation.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2016, 04:23 PM

I have seen a lot of dogs that have been horrendously treated tied up for years with no shelter or used as fighting dogs ( this was in the Caribbean ) Usually these dogs were pathetically grateful for good treatment depending on how they had been treated in the vital six weeks of puppyhood.
Many people in the Caribbean pet and indulge puppies and then kick them out and /and tie them up when they lose their cute appeal. While this is really distressing for the dog essentially they are still socialized and can very often adapt to a new home.
Other dogs are like Mups says timebombs .
Then there are dogs that have not had a bad home but an incompetent home. These dogs can be anything if more dangerous .They know there own power and consider themselves top dog.
In this breed is important a large aloof breed like the Akita can be a formidable dangerous animal .
The fact is ( as someone has said ) there are rarely bad dogs just bad owners.
The sad thing is that both the dogs and their usually innocent victims will pay the cost.

Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 10 11 12

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top