Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Re: Windws LiveMail Calendar

Thanks for that Bruce and I will have a look. I suppose I just don't like change for the sake of it! I have got 4 e-mail addresses 2 of which are linked to my own website domain which I went to some trouble to set up a few years ago. I didn't see anything about LiveMail being discontinued until I saw an article in a newspaper a few months ago. I think Microsoft should have e-mailed us.

My ISP for both my domestic and my website accounts is BT and the port settings are different for the domestic and the website ones. My mobile phone is Windows. I don't think I am on I-MAP but the older POP-3 and SMTP and I just used all the settings BT advised and that worked. I am someone who doesn't like being messed around with when things are working all right as far as I'm concerned but Microsoft do a lot of that these days!
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 03:11 PM

Further to that it is my understanding that you need to use the settings the ISP for the account wants rather than any the e-mail client suggests? If BT tells me to change something I will do it. I am now grudgingly getting used to using the " Calendar " program from the OS on both computers as that does synchronise and that is important as I have for a few years entrusted my appointments diary to the Calendar system and this could have resulted in a missed appointment such as at a hospital.

I am inclined to think it is another marketing ploy by Microsoft which seem to have become more frequent since the latest CEO took over and said his priorities were touchscreens ( which I loathe as I find them difficult ) and the Cloud which I suppose I am gradually warming to as Calendar is sort of part of that?

When writing on computer sections of websites I have many times seen people enthusing on the virtues of "........X " open source system and I sort of feel that well perhaps that is better and if i had been using it for years I might say so but I do not feel like learning a whole load of new stuff!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 03:36 PM

I agree, I hate having to learn everything again whenever Microsoft decide to launch a new OS, drives me up the wall.
As for anything Android, must admit I cannot get on with it at all, gave my last phone away and went back to a Windows phone.
Linux I have tried, again I could not understand it, maybe I'm jus getting too old for trying something new.
PhilipM
Wales, UK

02-09-2016, 12:25 PM

Thanks for that Purwell. I prefer evolution to revolution when it comes to updating programs but the kids like revolutions and it is what they want that goes?

That's very good about you having tried Linux which I haven't done although I have met one of the people who originated it. I haven't used Android either but don't use mobile phones a lot.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2016, 12:43 PM

I am using a quite old now Lumia 520 phone with windows 8 and it does most things I need.
PhilipM
Wales, UK

03-09-2016, 08:10 PM

Mine's a Lumia something or other Purwell also but from after Microsoft took them over and has Windows. When I bought it I went through the detailed instructions on my notebook PC next door, as I couldn't read them on the phone, and tried to do everything it could do to demonstrate to myself that I could even sending myself a video of myself, but I just don't find the need to actually use the fancy stuff nor do I enjoy doing so on small touchscreens. Up with Ned Ludd!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

04-09-2016, 06:38 AM

It can be frustrating ad you tap something when you are only trying to scroll but generally speaking I am happy with mine. Handy for getting bets on while out and about.
PhilipM
Wales, UK

14-09-2016, 10:38 AM

As I mentioned I've now grudgingly gone over to Calendar for my diary and find that it is synchronising from appointments entered in my Windows 8.1 desktop to my Windows 10 notebook but not the other way round. That is I can't enter appointments in the notebook and have them appear in the desktop which I used to be able to do with LiveMail.

I suppose it is all part of a campaign to get us all onto Windows 10 which Microsoft will change at will with us having no option to opt out of things. Microsoft giveth and Microsoft taketh away!
PhilipM
Wales, UK

14-09-2016, 12:39 PM

I've now looked at the Microsoft feedback area and it seems there are very many people having the same problem as me with Calendar since the recent changes with the unannounced discontinuation of LiveMail Calendar synchronising. Also there are all sorts of other Calendar and other problems!!
PhilipM
Wales, UK

15-09-2016, 08:11 PM

I wrote a comment about the Calendar synchronising problem on the Microsoft site and now it seems to be working both ways!! Could these things be related?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top