Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2016, 10:39 PM

Re: OMG ! Blade Runner 2049 !

Think you mean Rachael, not Sarah.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2016, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Think you mean Rachael, not Sarah.
Rachael yes, like I said
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2017, 05:12 PM

Well I'll be looking forward to this. Loved the original.
60fox
London
60fox is male  60fox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Do You Like our Owl ?
Deckard B26354 is coming back.

Excellent
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

24-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
What makes this film special is that it is packed with clues and secrets. But it can also be viewed as an amazing piece of cinematography, the last of its kind. The visuals are beautiful. There is none of your crappy Sci-Fi zap and blast em crap here. This is all about a future dystopian world, dark streets, neon lights. It is at heart a thriller set in the future.

With Harrison Ford as the main hero and the great Rutger Hauer as the primary replicant the acting is brilliant.
Yes, agree with everything you wrote, Realist. (Except his name is Deckard, not Decker. )

I think it's a film which even non-sci-fi lovers would enjoy. It manages to stay grounded in reality, even though it's about a very speculative future.

Plus, it has what is possibly the most moving line of dialogue ever written for a movie character, (no spoilers for those who haven't seen the film, but it's spoken by Rutger Hauer, right at the end).

Only problem with a sequel is that it probably won't have Sean Young in it. That scene where Deckard tests Rachael and she just coolly eyes him through her cigarette smoke is just plain mesmerizing.

And even though I "love" Harrison Ford in anything, he's getting a bit long in the tooth for action.

Cannot believe the film is 34 years old!!!!!!!!!!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Yes, agree with everything you wrote, Realist. (Except his name is Deckard, not Decker. )

I think it's a film which even non-sci-fi lovers would enjoy. It manages to stay grounded in reality, even though it's about a very speculative future.

Plus, it has what is possibly the most moving line of dialogue ever written for a movie character, (no spoilers for those who haven't seen the film, but it's spoken by Rutger Hauer, right at the end).

Only problem with a sequel is that it probably won't have Sean Young in it. That scene where Deckard tests Rachael and she just coolly eyes him through her cigarette smoke is just plain mesmerizing.

And even though I "love" Harrison Ford in anything, he's getting a bit long in the tooth for action.

Cannot believe the film is 34 years old!!!!!!!!!!
34 years old - crikey!

Yes, that was very moving at the end, and unexpected when I watched it.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

24-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Trailers coming up on YouTube
Oh NO!!!!!!!! Not Ryan Goose-ling!!!!!!!

That's it then. Won't be watching that movie!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Ok plot summary then. It's the future and man has developed sophisticated robots in human form to aid with all manner of tasks, mostly off world. They are called Replicants. Occasionally they malfunction and go rogue. A branch of the police called Blade Runners are then called in to find and "retire" the faulty robots. In this film 4 replicants are reported having come back to Earth and have already caused a few deaths. No-one knows why. Decker, a retired Blade Runner is brought out of retirement to deal with these special Nexus 6 replicants and a game of cat and mouse ensues.

Along the way Decker meets the man who designs and builds the robots, Tyrell, the owner of the massive Tyrell Corporation. There he also meets one of his "daughters", the beautiful Sarah. As a Blade Runner Decker has equipment and routines to test people to determine if they are human or replicant. He tests Sarah at the wish of Tyrell
to ensure he can first correctly test a human before trying a replicant. Sarah is sent out after the test. Decker informs Tyrell that the tests show she is a replicant but that she is somehow not aware of what she is. Tyrell explains that it is because they now use implanted memories so that the replicant is "more human than human".

As the film progresses the chase and confrontations with the 4 rogue replicants progresses. At the same time, Sarah visits Decker and starts to realise/suspect that she is a replicant herself. Since all replicants have a built in limited 4 year lifespan as a failsafe mechanism, she worries about how much "life" she actually has left. Decker becomes fond of her.

After 2 of the rogue replicants are retired by Decker the remaining 2 go to visit Tyrell themselves, to meet their maker, creator and to demand more life. Unfortunately Tyrell can not give it. They were made as best as they could be.

Eventually Decker confronts the last 2 in an old building. He retires (shoots) one leaving the strongest of the original 4 and finds himself having to try and escape. He ends up on the rooftops in the pouring rain, without his gun, with 2 broken fingers and there the final replicant corners him. But in a moment of self-realisation, he does not kill him. The final moments I will not reveal in case you ever see the film but I can tell you that the replicant delivers a speech to Decker which has become iconic in the Sci-Fi world.

What makes this film special is that it is packed with clues and secrets. But it can also be viewed as an amazing piece of cinematography, the last of its kind. The visuals are beautiful. There is none of your crappy Sci-Fi zap and blast em crap here. This is all about a future dystopian world, dark streets, neon lights. It is at heart a thriller set in the future.

With Harrison Ford as the main hero and the great Rutger Hauer as the primary replicant the acting is brilliant.

Not with Blade Runner. The dialogue is actually fairly limited and what there is, is delivered well. The number of actors is limited too. Only a few main characters. Amongst the dialogue are various clues to secrets which you as a viewer may or may not pick up on. They are important though because they concern the twist of the whole film, and will go on to form the main plot of the sequel when it comes.

Yep I know the kind of battles you are talking about. There are none of the kind with Blade Runner. There are no spaceships here and no laser rifles. This film is about a man hunt through a dystopian world by a retired cop who wields just his side arm and his equipment for testing people/robots. It is one of the most atmospheric Sci-Fi films made, with incredible cityscapes and a backing track by the brilliant Vangelis. The music is a key part of the experience for many. To my mind there hasn't been a Sci-Fi film made of its like since.

I do hope you get to see it one day.

Excellent summary of an excellent film
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

24-02-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
34 years old - crikey!

Yes, that was very moving at the end, and unexpected when I watched it.
Yes, the first time I heard it, I was gobsmacked. One, because it was such a perfect thing for the character to say, and two, because I didn't expect any Hollywood screenwriter to be lyrical and poetic enough to think up such a line!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Yes, the first time I heard it, I was gobsmacked. One, because it was such a perfect thing for the character to say, and two, because I didn't expect any Hollywood screenwriter to be lyrical and poetic enough to think up such a line!
It was Rutger Hauer himself who penned that line because he wasn't happy with what the scriptwriter had given him.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top