Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:21 PM

Light meters for photography

If this is in the wrong thread then please move.

I have a sekonic L-308S light meter Why? well it is far easier to get a light reading at the subject point then going back and forward with a camera trying to get the right settings. Even works for flash photography

Now i realise this is not what some would approve of but it does make life a lot easier.

Apart from portraits (which I don;t do) a typical senerio would be getting the correct exposure for the camera if the subjuct is in shade.

does anyone else have and use one
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 04:21 AM

Re: Light meters for photography

I always used to use one. Now it is yet another piece of junk accumulating dust but in its day it was a good piece of equipment.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightmeter 2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	4155  
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 08:52 AM

I've spent a LOT of money on digital cameras, They have their own light meter and if it doesn't work then I bought the wrong camera. Also - correct use of the histogram to judge exposure is better than any meter. So - use the cameras meter as a starting point - and fine tune using the histogram.

The only time I use/need a light meter (I have the same one as above) is in the studio where I use it as a flash meter to balance the lights. Typically going for two stops over the key light for blowing out a background and one stop under key for a fill light.

I do sometimes use a light meter when using some of my older film cameras that have no built in meter. In these cases I use a light meter app on my iPhone. It's VERY accurate.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 09:08 PM

Well what a coincidence! I used the L-308 today in the studio for the first time in a while and it looks like it's kaput It was a good couple of stops out.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Was it the S version?
Mister_Oy
NW UK

11-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Was it the S version?
No mine’s the orininal L-308
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-10-2017, 05:30 PM

Don't think that had the flash facility with it

display shows flash and continuous flash settings
Did not set as camera settings , so will be wrong in picture
Mister_Oy
NW UK

11-10-2017, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Don't think that had the flash facility with it
Sure does. Via a pc sync socket on the front.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top