Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 11:17 AM

Picture cramming

So often one tries to get everything in a photo, so much so there is no point to focus ones eyesight on.

So maybe better to restrict the picture to a single object and let the background compliment it.

Just a quick thought
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 03:22 PM

Re: Picture cramming

It seems a lot on the subject and genre.

Why not show us some examples from your own work?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mister_Oy ->
It seems a lot on the subject and genre.

Why not show us some examples from your own work?

I really should have flipped this so the balloon was on the right

The engine being the main subject complimented by the bridge fields etc around it
A single point the eye goes to first

A cluttered photo with no particular single point of interest

The eye is wandering around the picture trying to take in a single point to look at. WhatI would call a crammed picture

Hope that show what I mean Mister_Oy
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 05:42 PM

As I said - it depends on the shot. What would you have done to improve the last shot? It's a photo of a room - it is what it is. Yes, the others may be more pleasing on the eye as subjects but if you'd been tasked with taking a photo to show the layout of the room - then the room is the subject - and the shot works.

If the train or balloon had been surrounded by distracting clutter - then yes, there is a better way to show them. As you have done.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 12:36 AM

Personally I like the room picture best of the three - colours and shapes. In my opinion the steam engine could have done with standing closer (to get a more immediate perspective) or at a push cropping tighter (which doesn't improve perspective but would improve composition). The balloon one wouldn't get a second glance.

But surely that is the point, it is a matter of personal preference and judgement, there are few rules.
Mister_Oy
NW UK

18-10-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Personally I like the room picture best of the three - colours and shapes. In my opinion the steam engine could have done with standing closer (to get a more immediate perspective) or at a push cropping tighter (which doesn't improve perspective but would improve composition). The balloon one wouldn't get a second glance.

But surely that is the point, it is a matter of personal preference and judgement, there are few rules.
I think we're on the same page!
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:18 PM

The balloon shot is not for me - my eyes go straight to the crane and not the balloon.
The train is better, although I would have liked to have seen a better crop to focus more on the train.
The room shot is a room shot. It conveys a message that says what you need to know about the room.
As Mr_Oy says, if you are tasked with taking that type of shot, then you have succeeded .
It's all down to personal preference, as stated by Bruce and I agree with him. We cannot all like the same type of subject matter, technique, exposure, motion blur etc etc, however, it helps if the photo can tell a story.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-10-2017, 12:44 AM

Interesting replies, sometimes one can't get the exact shot one wants if fences or other obstructions are in the way.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Interesting replies, sometimes one can't get the exact shot one wants if fences or other obstructions are in the way.
That's very true and it's never easy to get the photo that you had in mind. However, it's sometimes possible to move ones self to get the subject matter in frame, wait for a better opportunity, or use a photo editing suite to enhance the shot.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Well I'm not a photographer but I bet if you could get your subject to stay still till you've got it just right that would help enormously

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top