Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Re: Todays music, what do you think of it?

I'm more of a 70's/80's classic rock fan. The stuff today is just regurgitated recycled computerised sampled c**p aimed at a very tiny demographic of music listeners - the current level of music sales compared to years ago bear this out. Studios are more interested in brainless imagery instead of artistic and technical skill and ignore the majority of listening public and refuse to invest in large stadium bands. The logic being that the music business is run by the same brainless morons who they are constantly promoting.
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 11:23 AM

IMAO all decades had their good and bad music.............having found music fairly late in life (early twenties), I loved 80's music culture........yes I know not to everyones liking, but each to their own..............I listen to music now, so as I can relate and have something to talk about with my 18 year old..............we don't have a lot in common, but can sit for hours and talk about Rita Ora, Paramore and the likes..........also I do not carte blanch say music today is crap............far from it..........the crap ones are just marketed that much better................H
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Good music is good music whatever era it's from. This morning I have listened to Mahler, Motown, Faith Hill, James Morrison and Nickelback.
As HTB said some of the crap is marketed better, particularly from already established artists!
Asp3
San Jose, CA
Asp3 is male  Asp3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2014, 03:47 AM

First of all I don't think that any music is rubbish as some people do. I just don't like it but that doesn't make it bad, just not to my liking. I'm not a fan of rap but I appreciate the finely crafted phrasing of some of the raps.

I think this is the best era of music I have ever experienced. I would agree that the popular, commercial music that is played by media giants doesn't really float my boat. I would also say that the popular music I liked most was that of the 60's and the 80's. However the only way to discover new music was to either hear it played on the radio or see it when a band came to town. If one had plenty of money one could buy records (or CDs starting in the 80's) to hear things that weren't being played publicly, but that was expensive.

Now I have a world of music available to me online. I can hear so many artists that I might never have been exposed to without the internet. One can even user services like Pandora (US only I know) or Spotify to play music like you currently like to find new artists that play the styles you like.

In addition you can purchase the music you like online and don't have to depend on your local store to carry the music you enjoy.

I love a lot of new artists and find my musical tastes expanding all the time. Different artists with new takes on the sounds I like have come out with music that thrills me on a regular basis.

Open your ears, browsers and minds and you can find some great music from today.
Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

01-11-2014, 06:54 AM

I love music from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and there are lots of amazing singers, musicians and lyricists out there right now. Music well done is always in style, you just have to listen and let your mind and heart choose what sounds good, and not be closed off to what's new. I love a person who can sing along with, or get up and dance around to, anything that sounds good and speaks to us, regardless of what generation produced it. Anyone who thinks that current music really isn't good, should watch an episode or two of The Voice, on TV, and you will realize that many current artists are real pros when they discuss music and they know what it good quality and what is crap. I have been amazed at the talent I'm hearing on that show.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 09:18 PM

I like most kinds of music, it doesnt matter from what period its from.

As regards modern acts, just three stand out for me. 1) From the US, a group called Vampire Weekend. 2) From the UK (OK, Nottingham ) Jake Bugg, and 3) One not many have heard of, also from the UK, Moco.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 09:27 PM

I like Imelda May, MCR, Fallout Boy, Rogora Khart, The Wattingers and lots of other modern singers and bands, but then having a late baby has kept me up to date with it all. I greatly admire anyone who can write music and put words to it! It's a great talent and I wish I had it! Finding an original tune is amazing and takes a lot of creative imagination and must be getting harder every day!
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 12:16 AM

In my car I listen to KCRW and hear some interesting stuff.
I like some ambient stuff. It has roots back in the 70s, Brian Eno kind of popularized the 'genre.'
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Speaking of ambient, new Aphex Twin
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Asp3 ->
First of all I don't think that any music is rubbish as some people do. I just don't like it but that doesn't make it bad, just not to my liking. I'm not a fan of rap but I appreciate the finely crafted phrasing of some of the raps.

I think this is the best era of music I have ever experienced. I would agree that the popular, commercial music that is played by media giants doesn't really float my boat. I would also say that the popular music I liked most was that of the 60's and the 80's. However the only way to discover new music was to either hear it played on the radio or see it when a band came to town. If one had plenty of money one could buy records (or CDs starting in the 80's) to hear things that weren't being played publicly, but that was expensive.

Now I have a world of music available to me online. I can hear so many artists that I might never have been exposed to without the internet. One can even user services like Pandora (US only I know) or Spotify to play music like you currently like to find new artists that play the styles you like.

In addition you can purchase the music you like online and don't have to depend on your local store to carry the music you enjoy.

I love a lot of new artists and find my musical tastes expanding all the time. Different artists with new takes on the sounds I like, have come out with music that thrills me on a regular basis.

Open your ears, browsers and minds and you can find some great music from today.
Now this is a great post.

I find myself agreeing with everything that is written.
Especially the highlighted one main para:.
Also I don't believe you can judge music by sales anymore. It is so easy these days to download music F.O.C albeit in some cases against the law.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top