Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 01:38 PM

Who Takes What?

Vitamin supplements that is..

Here's my list

1 Centrum silver for women
1 calcium citrate + D
1 2000 unit vitamin D
1 vitamin B12
1 vitamin B6
1 vitamin B1
1 B super complex
1 Mega Red Krill oil

I take a lot of B vitamins because 1.. they are water soluable and you just excrete what you don't need. 2. they seem to help my neuropathy in my feet (tingling, numbness) OH.. and #3.. I call them my "happy pills" because they seem to have an effect on my mood and outlook for the better.

I also eat oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of golden Flax for my cholesterol... as I have stopped taking my Statin.. I just couldn't stand the muscle pain and stiffness any longer. Made me feel like the Tin Man from the Wizzard of Oz. Having my levels checked this weekend to see how that is going.

How about you?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Re: Who Takes What?

I dont have any vitamin supplements but eat well,if i was found to be lacking iron or i would eat Liver, a good source of iron , and very cheap to buy .
I take enough prescription tablets that Are nessasary to keep me alive without taking something i could get in food .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I dont have any vitamin supplements but eat well,if i was found to be lacking iron or i would eat Liver, a good source of iron , and very cheap to buy .
I take enough prescription tablets that Are nessasary to keep me alive without taking something i could get in food .
I am very careful with suppliments and go lightly on the Fat soluables.. as they can build up toxicity.. Liver? I love liver... but wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole... BAD for Cholesterol.. (which is manufactured in a liver.. human or Bovine)

I don't believe "natural" is always the best either. I take vitamin D because it helps my bones absorb calcium.. I can make my own vitamin D by sitting out in the sun.. however, I can also make a nice big melanoma by doing so. I stay out of the sun as I am fair skinned. One has to be pragmatic and pick suppliments wisely
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:46 PM

I take iron, vitamin c, multivitality for vegetarians, and I take vitamin K every other day because for some reason I don't metabolise it well from my food and need it to clot my blood.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I'm with you on this, Eliza. If you have a good diet there is unlikely to be any benefit from taking additional supplements.
AudreyII
USA

18-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'm with you on this, Eliza. If you have a good diet there is unlikely to be any benefit from taking additional supplements.

Not always.. As I stated above.. with food, you can get the bad also.. Sometimes your body does not metabolize it well from food and sometimes you would have to eat a boxcar full of something to get the benefits.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Personally I am not keen on synthetic vitamins - our bodies can't assimilate them as easily as they can naturally occurring vitamins and minerals in food (often, because some are intrinsically linked and best taken together - as they are found in food).

Having said that, there are always exceptions - especially when you need a highly concentrated dose for a specific purpose (E.g Malic acid, D-limonene, etc).

I agree that liver is an excellent super food - high in Vit A and great for Vit K. We should eat it at least once a week
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Audrey - have you tried taking home-made yoghurt instead of calcium? 24 hour yoghurt (or Kefir) is excellent
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I take iron, vitamin c, multivitality for vegetarians, and I take vitamin K every other day because for some reason I don't metabolise it well from my food and need it to clot my blood.
Good point - I'll clarify my previous post by saying that SOME people do benefit if they have a metabolic problem or clotting problem such as you mention. But for a normal healthy person I think supplements are a waste of time.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Good point - I'll clarify my previous post by saying that SOME people do benefit if they have a metabolic problem or clotting problem such as you mention. But for a normal healthy person I think supplements are a waste of time.

There are far too many things which conflict with my medications - I can't touch vitamin supplements. F'r instance - Vitamin 'K' - this has the obverse effect of the Warfarin I've been prescribed to thin my blood.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top