Join for free
Page 11 of 46 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Re: General Brexit discussion posts split from 'How did you vote thread'

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm still an outer, just like the ex chief of the Bank of England I think we should now forget all the niceties and go for hard Brexit and leave the customs union too just as he suggests .... I'm becoming a bit of a rebel in me old age
So who is the UK going to trade with? and more importantly, under what terms? and when will all this be decided?

If the UK can persuade the US, China etc to trade with it alone under the same terms as they trade with the EU, it will be losing a lot of profit because it will cost mor to import raw materials.

However that makes up only 20% of the UK's GDP. What the UK should be discussing and what I hear almost nothing about is the passporting that keeps the UK afloat.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
So who is the UK going to trade with? and more importantly, under what terms? and when will all this be decided?

If the UK can persuade the US, China etc to trade with it alone under the same terms as they trade with the EU, it will be losing a lot of profit because it will cost mor to import raw materials.

However that makes up only 20% of the UK's GDP. What the UK should be discussing and what I hear almost nothing about is the passporting that keeps the UK afloat.
The simple truth Flicker is we do not know what is being discussed behind closed doors. All else is conjecture.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Summer . On question time a few weeks ago Farage said we could be out in 2 weeks if politicians had the guts to do it .

There was an interesting item on the radio this morning where a manufacturer was saying what these eurocrats forget is he and his fellow manufacturers and their counterparts in the EU don't give a dam about tariffs etc all they want to do is trade and if the politicians get in their way there will be trouble.
Yes. I wonder who to believe: Farage or Flicker!

Come to think of it, perhaps we could have a poll. Of course, I suspect that might contravene some rule or other about being personally directed at an individual member.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
The simple truth Flicker is we do not know what is being discussed behind closed doors. All else is conjecture.
That is very true, so there can be no fact in any discussion here.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Well I'll tell you that indeed manufactures care about tariffs...they make their products either profitable and saleable or not!

What has Farage to say about passporting? I don't remember him mentioning it yet it is what can cause the UK to sink or swim...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
What has Farage to say about passporting? I don't remember him mentioning it
Neither did you until SF mentioned it! Bandwagons and jumping spring to mind!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 12:59 PM

A few here who haven't changed their minds either..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38447743

Pro-Brexit group calls for EU free trade deal
Leave Means Leave has written to the chambers of commerce in all the other 27 EU states, asking them to call for a "sensible agreement regarding the terms of Britain's exit from the EU".
The letter warns that trade barriers would have a "detrimental effect".
It also calls for uninterrupted trade as well as near-zero tariffs.
The letter was written by Leave Means Leave co-chairs Richard Tice and John Longworth, the former British Chambers of Commerce director-general. The group wants to ensure Brexit means the UK is no longer a member of the EU's single market.
They said there were "many important elections taking place in EU member states" next year.
"Businesses across Europe will want trade with the UK to continue as usual after Brexit and any hint of trade barriers by the European Commission will be rejected," they wrote.
"It is vital that these business leaders make representations to their national governments to ensure that the EU is open for business.
"Mr Longworth told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the UK would prosper outside the EU as it sought free trade agreements with partners around the world.
"This word 'access' I find curious - everybody has access to the EU single market; the US and China send billions of stuff to the EU every year," he added.
"It doesn't actually matter if we leave the single market and there are tariffs because they are on average 3.5% for manufactured goods, but it's better for everybody if there is a smooth trading relationship."

Mr Longworth said he was yet to have many replies to the letter as it had been sent out over the festive period.
However, he said: "I know that Danes, the Dutch, the Irish and some German companies are very concerned. I mean the German equivalent of the Confederation of British Industry said as much a few months ago.
'Nervousness'
"For those business communities the UK is top of their agendas in terms of export markets, so it's very important for those countries to get access to the UK."
Meanwhile, a senior City representative has claimed that London would remain the world's top financial centre after Brexit.
Mark Boleat, policy chairman of the City of London Corporation, admitted there was considerable "nervousness" about the regulatory implications of the UK's departure from the EU.
However, he told the Financial Times: "I have no doubt that whatever happens in 2017, the City of London will remain the world's leading financial centre."

Mr Boleat called for a transition deal to be agreed early in Brexit talks to give the City enough time to adapt to new regulations - a stance that Philip Hammond, the Chancellor, has backed.
Flicker
France

28-12-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->

What is being discussed is all those hairbrained schemes for saving the future of the UK put about by minor politicians who want to save the world.
They remind me of scriptwriters who sit round a table n design plots for a TV soap.

We need to write out UK because she is quitting the show and her contract has run out. So we will design the plot so while she is married to EU she will be caught kissing China and the US in the same evening and EU will be so devastated that he will collapse like a heap of wet blankets in desperation and UK will run away with the other two to create a new business that will give Microsoft some competition.

Rating?
Flicker
France

28-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A few here who haven't changed their minds either..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38447743
Yes I know about that organisation.

another scriptwriter creating yet another possible plot.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2016, 01:08 PM

Well at least someone knows what is being discussed behind closed doors.
Quite how I do not know.
Perhaps the one who knows would care to elucidate?

Page 11 of 46 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top