Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Re: Value for money

No don't tell him! He is confused enough as it is
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 12:52 AM

I'm on the fence on this one.

1,800m is about the max effective range on a .338 mag.
I'm not convinced it would have enough retained kinetic energy to pass through the second person, and ricochet with enough force to kill a third.

Not saying it's impossible, but highly improbable imo.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 10:10 AM

I'm not sure either. I have seen on films that a bullet will not pass through a sofa if you are one of the good guys but will pass through a brick wall if you are one of the bad guys.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 11:53 AM

There again...

British military issue overpressure .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges with a 91.4 mm (3.60 in) overall length, loaded with 16.2-gram (250 gr) LockBase B408 very-low-drag bullets fired at 936 m/s (3,071 ft/s) muzzle velocity from a L115A3 Long Range Rifle were used in November 2009 by British sniper Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison to establish a new record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd).[4][5]
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
There again...

British military issue overpressure .338 Lapua Magnum cartridges with a 91.4 mm (3.60 in) overall length, loaded with 16.2-gram (250 gr) LockBase B408 very-low-drag bullets fired at 936 m/s (3,071 ft/s) muzzle velocity from a L115A3 Long Range Rifle were used in November 2009 by British sniper Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison to establish a new record for the longest confirmed sniper kill in combat, at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd).[4][5]
I don't doubt that, but at 1,800m (the case we are talking about) the bullet would just be going sub sonic and will have lost a lot of KE.
Seems a bit much that it could go through a head, then retain enough KE to pass through a chest and still have enough KE to ricochet and kill.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm not sure either. I have seen on films that a bullet will not pass through a sofa if you are one of the good guys but will pass through a brick wall if you are one of the bad guys.

Yes. In war films I always find it amusing that the Germans always seem to miss their targets, yet the Americans always hit theirs first shot. For some reason, they never run out of bullets either!

Interestingly, I watched a documentary the other day about the assassination of the King of Serbia(?) which started off the First World War.

They explained how he used to wear a bullet-proof vest (although the bullet hit him above the collar), and reproduced this to test its effectiveness.

Although it was barely one inch thick and contained only a fabric (satin or silk? - no Kevlar in those days!) it effectively stopped a handgun bullet similar to the one used by the assassin at about ten feet. Of course, these were relatively weak handgun bullets and not high velocity rifle bullets.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

25-01-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
I don't doubt that, but at 1,800m (the case we are talking about) the bullet would just be going sub sonic and will have lost a lot of KE.
Seems a bit much that it could go through a head, then retain enough KE to pass through a chest and still have enough KE to ricochet and kill.
Yet it did in the case above and at a longer range, same round ipso facto it would still have had the kinetic energy to do what is claimed, But if you know better..hey ho!

Anyway it must be true because Tom Cruise is making a film about it
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

25-01-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Yes. In war films I always find it amusing that the Germans always seem to miss their targets, yet the Americans always hit theirs first shot. For some reason, they never run out of bullets either!

Interestingly, I watched a documentary the other day about the assassination of the King of Serbia(?) which started off the First World War.

They explained how he used to wear a bullet-proof vest (although the bullet hit him above the collar), and reproduced this to test its effectiveness.

Although it was barely one inch thick and contained only a fabric (satin or silk? - no Kevlar in those days!) it effectively stopped a handgun bullet similar to the one used by the assassin at about ten feet. Of course, these were relatively weak handgun bullets and not high velocity rifle bullets.
I know a guy who was shot at by a sniper , the bullet hit a Zippo lighter in his pocket...........ricocheted off into his throat and into his head...killing him instantly. If it hadn't been for that Zippo he might have survived. (Note, the above is a joke before all the 'experts' try to disprove it)
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

25-01-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Yet it did in the case above and at a longer range, same round ipso facto it would still have had the kinetic energy to do what is claimed, But if you know better..hey ho!

Anyway it must be true because Tom Cruise is making a film about it
Where did I say I know better or it didn't happen?
I said I'm on the fence and it seems improbable, and that's what I still maintain.
You believe what you like matey.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

25-01-2017, 06:03 PM

One sniper can have a confirmed kill at 2475m with enough KE to kill
Yet you say that that the same round at 1800m is subsonic and will have lost a lot of KE. I would have thought that a round at 1800m would have a lot more kinetic energy than the one at 2475metres. But hey ho you are the expert

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top