Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 01:15 PM

Good Ol' Chicken Stew.

Morning everyone, Happy St.Patrick’s Day!!. I'm wearing my Shamrock brooch with pride today. Glass of wine though instead of Guinness.

Just thought I would let you know that I was well chuffed last night after serving this meal up for dinner. Thank you my lovely slow cooker for doing all the hard work.

It all came about when I added to my shopping list last week, two tins of Heinz Big Soups that were on special offer - I chose Chicken and Potato. They were very nice and filling, but as we were eating them, I couldn’t help thinking about making a good old traditional home-made Chicken Stew. (not a casserole). So, without a recipe to guide me (you know me and my tried and tested recipes only ever appearing on here), I set about doing just that yesterday. Luckily it came out a winner!, I know this because my biggest critic, he who must obey, loved it,. He even said “you can make that again anytime!” So, if you would like the recipe, here it is. I used cheat’s ingredients as well as fresh but together, they really made a difference.

Serving for Two.

2 x Chicken Breasts chopped into largish chunks.
3 medium Potatoes chopped into largish chunks
1 Leek sliced
2 medium Carrots. sliced in largish chunks
2 or 3 Mushroom sliced
2 Chicken Oxo’s made up to ¾ pint boiling water
3 good heaped teaspoons Bisto Chicken Granules made up to ¼ pint of boiling water (so it forms into a paste rather than liquid. Add more granules if necessary to get a paste like consistency)
1 level teaspoon Thyme

Put your Slow Cooker onto HIGH.

Brown the chicken pieces in a frying pan in a little oil and butter until browned all over.

Place the potatoes, carrots and leeks into the bottom of the slow cooker.

Place the Chicken pieces and mushroom slices over the vegetables.

Sprinkle the Thyme over the top, pour over the Chicken Oxo, Pour and spoon over the Bisto Chicken Granule paste all over.

Lid on and cook for 3.½ - 4 hours. (check after 3.½ hours).

Serve in individual soup dishes with buttered crusty bread or rolls.

Hope you enjoy it, It’s Bacon, Cabbage and Potatoes for us today, bejabers ! xx
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Re: Good Ol' Chicken Stew.

Take out the spuds for me, but it sounds delicious, how easy is it to clean the slow cooker afterwards. ?
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Whenever we have a chicken I make something similar SG but in my pressure cooker. I boil up the bones for stock, strain and then add potatoes, carrots, onion and any other suitable veg that I have in. Add a couple of stock cubes, herbs, garlic and black pepper. We sometimes have it on Yorkshire puds, delicious!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Hi

Sounds delicious Shrops.

Like Nom, no potatoes for me, dieting.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Take out the spuds for me, but it sounds delicious, how easy is it to clean the slow cooker afterwards. ?
Really easy Nom, Once I have served up, I soak the pot in boiling water and washing up liquid and just leave it in the sink. Once we've eaten and I start to wash up, it's as easy as wiping a plate, no bother at all.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-03-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Whenever we have a chicken I make something similar SG but in my pressure cooker. I boil up the bones for stock, strain and then add potatoes, carrots, onion and any other suitable veg that I have in. Add a couple of stock cubes, herbs, garlic and black pepper. We sometimes have it on Yorkshire puds, delicious!
Hi Val, that sounds really yum! but I just used plain old boring two chicken breasts in a pack that were on special offer.
I do buy 3 chickens a week for my two pampered pups, but after stripping them, I usually just bin them, shame on me.
(all for an easy life)
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Really easy Nom, Once I have served up, I soak the pot in boiling water and washing up liquid and just leave it in the sink. Once we've eaten and I start to wash up, it's as easy as wiping a plate, no bother at all.
Cheers SG, i do a fair bit of one pot cooking so may be an investment for next winter.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Hi SF, What is it with everyone on a diet with no potatoes. You wouldn't like the meal I am serving up at 3.30 pm today then, Bacon, Cabbage and Potatoes with a Shamrock sauce, followed by Rice pudding with pears and honey. Euthanasia to any diet!!! Got to celebrate St Patrick today.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

17-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Im not on a diet (should be), just dont like potatoes.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top