Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Re: Days out

Thanks Eliza
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 08:06 AM

Good tips for Torquay, thanks Myrtle. Be useful for when I go in July. I plan on getting a rail card and going/returning by train. Can't stand the thought of being on the coach all that time.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 08:55 AM

Jazzi ... if you book in advance it can be cheaper ... I also use the split train ticket website to see if there's any savings to be made ....

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx

You can book your tickets and collect from the ticket machine at your nearest station before you buy your senior railcard ... no problem as long as you have it on the day of travel ... buy the railcard as late as possible so you have a full 12 months from the date you first use it.

When I travel home by train I don't usually leave the resort until around lunchtime so I have another full morning there ... I leave my case at the hotel and collect it in time to catch the train.

If you are staying at the Torbay Hotel the bus stop to the station is just across the road and takes about 5 minutes then about another 5 minute walk to the station.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Ive had some lovely days out since i last posted in here .
Norwich is a lovely city i have been to twice now , love the old cobbles street of Elm Hill and surrounding areas,
Durham , Crook House was well worth a visit , thanks for mentioning it Myrtle .
Cardiff and Bristol was my weekend away , Bristol is another place i will go back to again , loved the Waterfront at Bristol .

I had good weather on all the trips away , not sure im going to stay dry tomorrow though as its given rain for London ,

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080744.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	3567   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080217.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	3568   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080321.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	3569   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080590.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	3570  
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

07-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Hi Eliza

I'm glad you're enjoying your days out ... did you get to see the Clifton Suspension Bridge when you went to Bristol ... an amazing sight

I've not been to Norwich for about 37 years but will be going in November as I'm going on a 4 night coach trip to Great Yarmouth which includes an excursion to Norwich but I can do it myself by bus if I decide not to use the coach. I'm thinking of going to Ely from Great Yarmouth on the free day ... maybe ... maybe not

Enjoy your time in London .... that's one place I wouldn't go on my own ... I've been a few times and I love it

Keep posting ...
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Hi Myrtle , yes saw the bridge at Bristol. Lots to see at Norwich thats why i went back for a second time , and will go back again to finish what i couldnt pull in . I went by train and the station was an easy walk to places to see .
Im going to London 3 times this month ,Hampton Court Palace , Tower of London and Greenwich , all places i wanted to see .

Then more trips to come Ironbridge and Winchester .and deciding on where else to go ...

Enjoy your days out and recommend any that stand out
wont you
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Hi ladies,
I loved the view from Clifton suspension bridge. Did any of you walk across to the little museum on the other side?

Myrtle, enjoy Norwich. Train might be quicker, too long by bus.

I live in London and can't get enough of it, lol! M, why not alone?

A must visit for me now is Ironbridge. And Cardiff.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

07-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Jazzi
I went to 3 museums at Bristol , all free, The Red Lodge , , + City Museum which was very big on several floors + Georgian House .
So i think I must have missed the one near the Bridge ..
Perhaps i will catch it next time round .
Im going to Ironbridge Victorian Christmas in December , im hoping it will snow the day im there , it will add to the atmosphere
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk

07-08-2017, 08:42 PM

I walked across the Clifton Suspension Bridge and looked at the museum

I went to Ironbridge last Tuesday ... been before but wanted my granddaughter to see it ... gorgeous ... then we went on to Blists Hill Victorian Village (where I bumped into Carol).

As Jazzi already knows ... we also went on the Severn Valley Railway from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth and back ... Bridgnorth is lovely.

Jazzi ... re Norwich ... not much difference between bus and train when the walk to the train station is 25 minutes from the hotel but I will do the train to Ely if I go and change at Norwich. Strange that London on my own scares me innit ???

In September I'm having 2 nights in Shrewsbury ... train and Premier Inn. Oh I'm having bank holiday weekend in Blackpool
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

07-08-2017, 10:05 PM

I got the bus from/to the station in Norwich.

Eliza, the museum is tiny and about the history of the bridge.

Are Ironbridge and Blist Hill possible to visit independently? Does one need to go by Shearings, for instance? Or can one catch a train or bus?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top