Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2017, 09:50 PM

Re: What were your staple meals as you were growing up?

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Thanks for the replies everyone - very interesting

What I was looking for more than anything else, was seeing how much gluten played a part in your diets. From your posts, it certainly seems to have been less prevalent back then - no mention of pizza, spaghettis, pastas etc..
Azz gluten was certainly big in my diet. My parents used to
always buy a fresh loaf from the bakers. I think they were called bloomers. It used to be warm when they bought it home. We would get thick slices slathered in butter and sometimes jam. It was totally yummy but loaded with gluten (which I now can't eat). I don't think there was a day when we didn't eat fresh bread. My mum used to also make fresh soup from scratch and add spaghetti or other pasta. Her tomato soup has always been to die for. Sausages and fish fingers (which are both full of gluten) were a regular dish.

There were quite a lot of foods with gluten in the 70s but it seems to be in almost everything these days. I even pick up stuff like quinoa or lentils and it says they are contaminated (which for me means poison). I didn't become fully intolerant until 2011 after years of inexplicable reactions to meals. There's definitely something up with our food production because even friends who don't have an intolerance say they feel bloated after eating it.

Are you doing a research project into this?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

Are you doing a research project into this?
Just curiosity Annie

I'm fascinated by how our diets have changed over the years..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2017, 11:49 PM

Azz I think we are just coming to the end of an era when we have had the most abundant healthy and varied food available at affordable prices. I used to have so many niggly health/alltergy problems in the 80s and I think it was from the junk diets then. Now we have some great stuff but wonder if it will last....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Thanks for the replies everyone - very interesting

What I was looking for more than anything else, was seeing how much gluten played a part in your diets. From your posts, it certainly seems to have been less prevalent back then - no mention of pizza, spaghettis, pastas etc..
I'm guessing that like our family, most people's meals were accompanied by bread and butter. (When we were hard up we ate bread and sugar sandwiches). Our favourite puddings were Bread Pudding and Bread and Butter pudding (still a favourite of my family). We also ate a lot of dumplings, scones, home-made tarts, pies and pasties with our meals, so I don't suppose there was a lot of difference in the amount of gluten we consumed compared with today.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm guessing that like our family, most people's meals were accompanied by bread and butter. (When we were hard up we ate bread and sugar sandwiches). Our favourite puddings were Bread Pudding and Bread and Butter pudding (still a favourite of my family). We also ate a lot of dumplings, scones, home-made tarts, pies and pasties with our meals, so I don't suppose there was a lot of difference in the amount of gluten we consumed compared with today.
Not a lot of difference now either - still eat gluten in suet dumplings (today!!!) or in steak & kidney puddings.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm guessing that like our family, most people's meals were accompanied by bread and butter.
Yes there was usually bread to fill people up.
I used to hate going to a birthday parties and being made to eat bread and butter with jelly and cream I said I would rather go without anything....
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Wow, what a nice thread. And I missed it. So what the heck, I'll chime in as well...

My mom was a homebody who loved to cook, so we always ate homemade meals at suppertime. Lunches were a little more kid-friendly, like PB&J's, cheese & crackers, cold cut sandwiches, etc. However, my mom & dad grew a big garden out back every year, planting tons of different vegetables. I used to love going into the garden and picking the green beans and the peas and the corn and especially the cucumbers that my mom would turn into her homemade pickles. Every summer, that poor woman would spend hours upon hours canning all the gifts from the garden and in our basement there were shelves full of jar after jar of canned vegetables, pickles, relishes and preserves.

I don't know how she did it all, but one thing was for certain - we never ran out of food. And I fondly remember my dad and I chowing down on the fresh cob corn from the garden with mom's fried chicken and mash & gravy. To this day that's one of my favorite meals.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top