Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:16 PM

Stripping paint

When I moved here the skirting boards in the lounge were varnished.
Because I wanted a quick fix I emulsioned over it umpteen times (as an undercoat and without sanding down the varnish....yep, I know don't shout at me). Of course it didn't adhere very well, so I just kept doing it.
Then I glossed over with water based paint.

Now, some of the paint has coming off when I knocked it with the hoover and the varnish shows through.

I want to decorate the lounge and get a new carpet and I would imagine more paint would come off when they use the 'thingy' to knock the carpet down by the skirting board.

What's the best way to remove the paint I put on, ie just down to the varnish, then I'd sand the varnish and do it properly.
I don't want to go through all the hassle of taking the varnish off too.

Is it possible to just get down to the varnish or will it all have to come off?

I thought about a stripper but too toxic for me. Found some Eco stuff, but it doesn't seem to work very well. Also found porridge works, which I never knew! (That seems a bit long and messy)

If I sand it down, is it possible to just get down to the varnish....would it be very hard.... don't think my hands would stand too much sanding.

Or is there another way...

PS..... I know it wasn't the 'quick' fix and should have done it properly, but my heart wasn't in it. I usually do stuff properly
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:21 PM

Re: Stripping paint

New skirting boards might be quicker and easier, and quite possibly cheaper.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:26 PM

I replace skirting boards and used no more nails to stick them to the wall.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
New skirting boards might be quicker and easier, and quite possibly cheaper.
Not an option.... there's no way I could rip them out - if I did have the muscle I guarantee the plaster would come away anyway
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Not an option.... there's no way I could rip them out - if I did have the muscle I guarantee the plaster would come away anyway
Don't be so negative. You won't know until you try.

Or get a kind man to help you (or to do it for you)!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-08-2017, 09:49 PM

Don't be so negative. You won't know until you try.

Or get a kind man to help you (or to do it for you)!
humph.... this is the sort of place you strip the wallpaper off and the plaster falls off. It's happened in two rooms so far. I ain't pushing my luck with a third!

I don't know any kind men any more. They've either left his earth or live too far away.

(hand to brow)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
humph.... this is the sort of place you strip the wallpaper off and the plaster falls off. It's happened in two rooms so far. I ain't pushing my luck with a third!

I don't know any kind men any more. They've either left his earth or live too far away.

(hand to brow)
I know what you mean. In our last house I did just that: pulled off some wallpaper along with some plaster!

I'd still replace the skirting boards, though. Trying to get all that paint and varnish would be a right pain. If some plaster does fall off, it can be replaced. If it's a small amount, you could do it yourself with filler. I use Tetrion. It's nice and easy to use.

Even for a woman.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:12 PM

I used Zinsser Bin to cover a varnished door, it comes in white..then painted over that with a top coat, it's a bit expensive but it really did the job. No sanding down or prep required but I'd did wash the doors to remove the muck, it was a kitchen door, I think Wickes do something similar but I ordered mine from Amazon.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-08-2017, 10:16 PM

I know what you mean. In our last house I did just that: pulled off some wallpaper along with some plaster!

I'd still replace the skirting boards, though. Trying to get all that paint and varnish would be a right pain. If some plaster does fall off, it can be replaced. If it's a small amount, you could do it yourself with filler. I use Tetrion. It's nice and easy to use.

Even for a woman.

Yes, I know it will be a pain trying to get the paint off - but that serves me right.

My view is it has to be easier than trying to rip the skirting boards off.

Besides, it's wallpaper (the blown vinyl stuff ) and I can guarantee it'll rip some off when the skirting is taken away, so that would be another saga trying to repair the wallpaper or ripping the w/paper off and paying a plasterer. What one would call a merry go round
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-08-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I used Zinsser Bin to cover a varnished door, it comes in white..then painted over that with a top coat, it's a bit expensive but it really did the job. No sanding down or prep required but I'd did wash the doors to remove the muck, it was a kitchen door, I think Wickes do something similar but I ordered mine from Amazon.
Oh yes, I came across Zinsser Rehab.
I've done a lot of reccie and someone recommended ZINSSER that is Shellac based. Also one that was called ??? Peel, plus Home Strip.

Edited: You've got the cogs going Rehab, I forgot to ask in my original post.
If I used one of these ie Zinsser, would I not need to sand the place where the paint has peeled away
showing the varnish? Or do I just use eg Zinsser and carry on.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top