Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:49 PM

Re: Stripping paint

You might just need to smooth the surface down a bit so that it's all even, it's good stuff but like you said a bit expensive, I bought a small tin for £30 something but it was enough to do a a door and it dried quickly
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 10:57 PM

Thanks Rehab. Yes, I figured I'd have to smooth it a bit first.
In my mind I've already gone through the whole scenario, and all I see is it all coming away again if knocked - just because I didn't do anything for the paint to adhere to the varnish.

Bit like trying to stick a stamp on an envelope with no glue but putting the glue on afterwards on top of the stamp.

I guess I'll just have to have a play in an area where it won't matter.

In for a penny....
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:17 PM

Good luck, on the plus side who will be staring at your paintwork.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:48 PM

How about removing the paint & varnish with a chemical paint stripper such as the one below. You paint it on - leave it a while - it blisters up and you scrape it off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Painting-...paint+stripper
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 09:15 AM

To remove paint use a heat gun, then scrape off. To remove varnish use a heat gun and then scrape off. Once cooled sand smooth.

To remove wallpaper, use a steamer and scrape the wall paper off. Score vinyl and washable wallpaper with a Stanley knife before steaming.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 09:43 AM

There is no quick or easy fix pesta. I would rub the whole thing down and paint over with an oil based paint, that's the quickest easiest fix but it will still chip eventually. The best fix as already suggested is new skirts, but I would get someone in to do that. Stripping the whole lot back to the wood would be messy and time consuming.

Good luck,
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
There is no quick or easy fix pesta. I would rub the whole thing down and paint over with an oil based paint, that's the quickest easiest fix but it will still chip eventually. The best fix as already suggested is new skirts, but I would get someone in to do that. Stripping the whole lot back to the wood would be messy and time consuming.

Good luck,
I concur.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 11:02 AM

I agree with rehab that zinnisser is probably the best paint for the job. I would still remove the old paint though down to the varnish. sandpaper will take forever so would be better to use a heat gun (as suggested) and a shave hook.

If the skirting is just plain old skirting, personally I would replace it. If the some of the plaster falls away, replace with a larger skirting.

If the skirting is period then I would take the time to restore it.

I stripped every single bit of paint in my house using this heat gun from Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/earlex-hg2...220-240v/48810

It did the job perfectly although I would buy a separate shave hook as the one supplied in the kit is a bit too thick.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Thanks for replies folks. Not sure what I'm going to do as yet... still mulling it over.

I wasn't enamoured with the idea of burning it off. In my mind's eye I went back in time and saw my dad using a blowtorch on the windows, burning off old paint. I couldn't do that, I'd set the place on fire!

But then.... hang on .... 'hot air gun', what's that? I went on Youtube and saw how to use it. Oooh, I could do that, looks so relaxing!

But as I say, I'm still mulling it over.

Thanks again for your ideas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
But then.... hang on .... 'hot air gun', what's that?
Calm down, dear. It's a bit like a hair dryer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top