Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 07:22 AM

Vanish

Hi

I started washing my curtains yesterday, the one badly stained after the flood first.

It had a horrible brown tide mark on it, so folded it up and put the brown tide mark in warm water plus Vanish in the kitchen sink.

I had to do it bit by bit, 6 times in total as the curtain is so big and is lined with blackout.

The results are fantastic, the water was filthy and the stain disappeared completely.

It is very good stuff.

The strange thing was the stainless steel sink has come up sparkling as well, it looks like new.

I tried Vanish and warm water in the utility room sink overnight and that has come up sparking as well.

The sinks looked fine before, I keep them clean, but the difference is amazing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 07:43 AM

Re: Vanish

Vanish is a good product you can however make your own for a fraction of the price I use bicarb, white vinegar and citric acid in various amounts to achieve various house hold name products.

So if you have time it's worth looking at ingredients you may be able to make many of these things. Internet is a fabulous resource for this sort of thing.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Vanish is a good product you can however make your own for a fraction of the price I use bicarb, white vinegar and citric acid in various amounts to achieve various house hold name products.

So if you have time it's worth looking at ingredients you may be able to make many of these things. Internet is a fabulous resource for this sort of thing.
Hi

Yes , quite right Julie.

However I did not want to get the concentration wrong and mess up my curtains.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Yes you have to know what you are doing, it just annoys me there is a new loo cleaner on the market, it's equal quantities citric acid and bicarb, with a shed load of perfume. That's all and they sell it for close to a fiver ! About 40p of ingredients in a plastic pot is all it is.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 12:54 PM

I agree Swims, Vanish is good.

I always keep the little containers of the gel type, with the 'rub-on' nozzle, for use on small stains.

Glad you got your curtains sorted, now the fun starts trying to get them back up!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Swims, Vanish is good.

I always keep the little containers of the gel type, with the 'rub-on' nozzle, for use on small stains.

Glad you got your curtains sorted, now the fun starts trying to get them back up!
Hi

I have only managed to get one done so far Mups, they need to be line dried and rain to day.

I can only fit one on the line at a time, they are that long.

Three more curtains to go.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-08-2017, 01:04 PM

I may be strange, who knows but I always hang mine wet, they dry at the Windows. Usually fall into their pleats and things much easier like that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-08-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I may be strange, who knows but I always hang mine wet, they dry at the Windows. Usually fall into their pleats and things much easier like that.
Hi

Don't fancy that Julie, they are floor length and I would have to take them down again anyway to decorate.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Ah that's a bit different. I don't ever have floor length having owned male dogs they have always found a use for the bottom of them ! And I didn't realise you were decorating. If you finish yours first we are half way through here and right old mess our flat is at the moment
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have only managed to get one done so far Mups, they need to be line dried and rain to day.

I can only fit one on the line at a time, they are that long.

Three more curtains to go.
Over the bannister rail?
With old towels under to collect the drips...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top