Join for free
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Flowers and concrete

I am in the process of redesigning parts of my back garden, I have made the framework for a new flower bed and in another part of the garden I have removed part of an old concrete path. Now I am wondering if I disperse the old broken concrete over the base of the new flower bed and put a good depth of soil on top will it be likely to cause me any problems in the future. The reason I ask is that rubbish clearance companies where I live don't want to know as soon as you mention hard core or they want two or three hundred pounds to remove even a small amount which is all I have. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Regards: Brian.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:35 PM

Re: Flowers and concrete

There is a carpark only seven inches or so under the back garden here not even broken up, concrete paths and Tarmac parking spaces it appears. The only problem we've had is we have to grow plants with shallow roots and we've had to prop up our flowering cherry as it falls over in wind.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:44 PM

I imagine it will depend on what you intend to plant, Brian.

It would probably be OK for bedding plants, herbs, bulbs etc or anything that didn't grow deep tap roots I would imagine.

I have another two ideas to ponder over as well though.

1. Why not smash it up and make a rockery out of it?
You could tip some soil over the mount of rock and cover it with dwarf
spring bulbs and a lovely selection of spreading rockery plants.

OR -

2. Stick a postcard in a local shop, or on your own gate or in a Free-Ads paper, saying " Quantity of Hardcore - Free to good home."

I bet someone will want it and take it away for you.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
I am in the process of redesigning parts of my back garden, I have made the framework for a new flower bed and in another part of the garden I have removed part of an old concrete path. Now I am wondering if I disperse the old broken concrete over the base of the new flower bed and put a good depth of soil on top will it be likely to cause me any problems in the future. The reason I ask is that rubbish clearance companies where I live don't want to know as soon as you mention hard core or they want two or three hundred pounds to remove even a small amount which is all I have. I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Regards: Brian.

im thinking you might have drainage problems , when we have a good down pour you might see your flowers in a puddle or floating away .

A skip would be a lot cheaper roughly £80+ for smallest to get rid of foot path ..Or even take a bit at a time to tip in the boot of your car
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 07:01 PM

I think if you smash it up a bit it shouldn't be a problem Brian as long as you give yourself a good planting depth over the top.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
I think if you smash it up a bit it shouldn't be a problem Brian as long as you give yourself a good planting depth over the top.
That's what I'd do, use it as drainage in the bottom of the flowerbeds.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 09:40 AM

I would think that so long as it is broken small enough and placed deep enough, it should be ok. My only concern would be whether it would be suitable for acid loving plants.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Thanks everyone for some solid common sense thoughts, I have taken on board all that has been said and gleaned a plan of action from them. The new flower bed is 12 feet x 12 feet, I will dig out a narrow trench around the perimeter down to the chalk scatter the broken up concrete along it and refill adding the new top soil. That way if there is a problem in the future it will be easy to dig out without destroying the whole bed. Being the edge of the border it is where the shallow rooting plants will be so all should be fine. Thank you all again
Brian.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Sounds a good plan Brian.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top