Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Washing Machine Disaster.

For a couple of weeks I have had a damp patch in the middle of the kitchen floor which I at first thought was condensation from the ceiling extractor fan above it.
Got up the other day to find kitchen and lounge flooded as the hose connector from main cold supply to washer had split. Need to get rid of luckily cheap lounge carpet, which was bought when first moved in and money was very tight but concrete floors in house were cold and dusty.
Is there any paint I could paint floor with which would be ok for a while before I buy new carpet when funds allow and just use rugs temporarily. The floor is smooth and flat.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Re: Washing Machine Disaster.

Hi

Garage floor paint, but you need to let the floor dry properly first.

If you just want to seal the floor so no dust, use a PVA mix.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 11:36 AM

No advise although swims advise sounds good, just wanted to commiserate it's awful when this happens !
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Are you insured ? Can you make a claim
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2017, 04:50 PM

As Swim says, garage floor paint.

I have used this before and it's good stuff

Available at B&Q
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Thank you for your replies
I think I mostly worried about the bare concrete floor dust as before I got the carpet down the dust was everywhere and breathing it in was irritating my chest.
I will try the paint thank you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:41 AM

My washing machines just conked out.
I think I will just go and buy a new one as I have no idea whatsoever is wrong with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Having twice suffered leaks from a washing machine and dishwasher, I have been looking into the anti-flood devices. I have fitted several of these for customers but not for myself.

You can buy an anti-flood hose which simply replaces your existing one. It is basically a hose within a hose and the idea is, if the inner hose splits, the outer hose recognises this and shuts off the water supply. But I was thinking how unlikely it would be that just the inner hose splits and it would not work if bitten by rodents.

There is also a plastic tray which can be bought and placed under the appliance but if you did have a leak, it would be difficult to slide the appliance out without spilling the water anyway. A lot of dishwashers have an internal float which stops the appliance from working should water build up in the base. This is what happened to mine but again, when I slid it out, the water went everywhere.

So, I'm not convinced that any of the fail safes are worth buying.

Has anyone else bought them and has it helped at all?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 10:31 AM

I'd be interested in that as we are on first floor my biggest fear is flooding the lady down stairs she's so nice I'd hate to upset her.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 01:01 PM

I have had a hose split before in the days when the water pressure was about 1000+kpa so I always turn off the washing machine tap when I go on holiday (I only connect the cold tap).

However laundry and bathrooms here tend to have drains in the floor so even if there is a leak or spillage it doesn't affect the rest of the house. I remember staying at my cousin's house in the UK where the bathroom had a carpet - I couldn't believe it - my bathroom could be hosed out without causing any damage.

BTW no longer have the problem with water pressure - during the last, 10 year, drought they made it law that to use a garden hose the nozzle had to be fitted with a 'gun' type on/off switch. People complained that it was impossible because the water pressure blew the hose apart so the water pressure had to be reduced so this didn't happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top