Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 07:34 AM

Re: The fall in the £

To be quite honest I don't know what you expected. If you leave the EU your best hope for a bright future is as a low cost manufacturing base and a low cost tourist destination - for that to happen the pound has to devalue.

Certainly I was thinking of visiting the UK again next year if the AUS$/£ stays as it is. When I came to the UK a few years ago our dollar was ridiculously high at US$1.10 and worth 70p; now it is back to slightly above its long term average against the US$ at US$0.79 but it still buys 60p. This makes the UK still economical and worth visiting.

Isn't this what you want for the country after Brexit? a country that is cheaper to visit and thus cheaper to set up manufacturing industries in.

Britain is not a mineral rich country nor does it have any particular locational advantages any more in the total global market place so it has to be attractive for investment by some other mechanism and cost is one of them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 07:50 AM

People wanted a Britain that was not controlled by the bureaucrats of Europe .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:02 AM

The price of Fish Fingers, seems to have maintained stability.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:09 AM

Haven't eaten them since I was ten
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Can I asked why you voted for something that hadn't been planned Julie?
I'm genuinely interested
Judd answered it rhian, ⬇️

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If I may answer this too?

No plans had been made on either sides of the debate - Cameron in his arrogance assumed that it would be business as usual so no plan for staying in the EU was necessary.

No plans were made in case of a pro-Brexit result because the pro-Brexit voters (me included) were not expected to win. Cameron must have got the biggest shock of his life after the result, that's why he did a runner as soon as he was able because his hubris came to bite him on his arse.
Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The price of Fish Fingers, seems to have maintained stability.

Indeed I haven't noticed any huge differences in prices at all in the supermarkets apart from tesco doing away with their value range which has caused a few rises.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:27 AM

I had a fish finger sandwich the other day it was scrumptious

I think we all have to hold our nerve now, no one said leaving would be painless.

I liked your post Bruce, we have to find a level for the pound that suits our new situation if that means it loses some value but in doing so encourages new opportunities so be it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
To be quite honest I don't know what you expected. If you leave the EU your best hope for a bright future is as a low cost manufacturing base and a low cost tourist destination - for that to happen the pound has to devalue.

Certainly I was thinking of visiting the UK again next year if the AUS$/£ stays as it is. When I came to the UK a few years ago our dollar was ridiculously high at US$1.10 and worth 70p; now it is back to slightly above its long term average against the US$ at US$0.79 but it still buys 60p. This makes the UK still economical and worth visiting.

Isn't this what you want for the country after Brexit? a country that is cheaper to visit and thus cheaper to set up manufacturing industries in.

Britain is not a mineral rich country nor does it have any particular locational advantages any more in the total global market place so it has to be attractive for investment by some other mechanism and cost is one of them.

Good point, we need to do tourism better though, stop the London touts who see a tourist and charge a fortune for a coffee. And improve our signage.

I work for an e book publisher they are doing fabulously well better than ever they say. The brexit vote marked a sharp incline in their business for some reason.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 11:23 AM

So we want a great tourist industry but we are losing the eu workers that run it for us and imposing strict border controls (allegedly). Plus we want higher minimum wages for staff but good deals for tourists although we still want tourist sites to pay whacking business rates for our tax revenue. We also accept a greatly reduced standard of living with devaluation of the currency and lower wages for manufacturing staff to make our products really competitive with the likes of china.

Something is not adding up here...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Why can't we do it ourselves ? The reliance on others to do things worrying, if I can clean for instance so can others ! Get people from uk to realise jobs need doing and we all have to man the pumps as it were.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Hi

Where I live, loads of work, but not the type people want.

It is agricultural and big slaughterhouses and food plants.

We rely on EU Immigrants, from agricultural areas, to do the work.

The food factories are all 7 days a week operations, shift systems.

Rural life is not for everyone.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top