Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 06:09 PM

Re: Mobile phones, the cost.

Couldn't do without my (Android) Smartphone but I'm not obsessed with buying a new model every time a new one is released. The Apple `Fanbois` are a joke, queueing up all night outside a store just because the latest iPhone has an extra 2mm on its screen. Steve Jobs must be laughing in his grave.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2017, 11:22 PM

Never owned a smart phone. Don't do mobile contracts.

Have a £60 Dual Sim Nokia, a classic old phone with real keys. Nice a small, easily fits in a pocket, unlike a smart phone.

Main sim is a PAYG 1pMobile sim.

1p per text
1p per min call
1p per MB data (which I never use)

Only commitment is to top up with £10 every 4 months, so that's £30 a year !

Few would be able to find a cheaper mobile tariff imo.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 08:44 AM

I always buy a slightly out of date unlocked model I was thinking of upgrading my Samsung Galaxy S4 to an S5 if it carks it. I looked up the price; it is $388 (£200) so cheap for a smart phone I thought.

Mind you I think you are being robbed if you are paying £1000 for an iPhone they are only about $1100 (£600) unlocked here

I don't understand why people bother with a land line any more. Telstra charges a minimum of $27 a month for a landline - having one makes no sense. On my mobile I pay $25 (£12) for unlimited calls, texts and MMS including unlimited calls to 10 overseas countries (USA, UK, Malaysia among them) as well as 2Gb of data. I often call my brother in the UK and chat for an hour or so.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 03:58 PM

I love love love my smart phone

It's my diary, alarm clock, holds medical data for the GP - blood pressure readings etc, I use it to read books, surf the web, take and edit photos, keep in touch with friends and family world wide using a variety of apps. I do my banking on it. I keep my shopping lists on it, time sheets for work. I have a few games one it. I have music on it. I watch tv and films on it when travelling. I use the compass, the calculator, the sat nav regularly. Its my loyalty card for some places and my payment card

All on something that fits in my back pocket and is light as a feather

Only thing I don't use it the call function, I have a phobia about talking on the phone lol
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I love love love my smart phone

It's my diary, alarm clock, holds medical data for the GP - blood pressure readings etc, I use it to read books, surf the web, take and edit photos, keep in touch with friends and family world wide using a variety of apps. I do my banking on it. I keep my shopping lists on it, time sheets for work. I have a few games one it. I have music on it. I watch tv and films on it when travelling. I use the compass, the calculator, the sat nav regularly. Its my loyalty card for some places and my payment card

All on something that fits in my back pocket and is light as a feather

Only thing I don't use it the call function, I have a phobia about talking on the phone lol
I just hope you never have it nicked Missy
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I just hope you never have it nicked Missy

I've been so lucky as I'm forever leaving it down and forgetting it. Always had it returned

Yes it would be a pain if it was stolen but thankfully it backs up to the cloud automatically so even if the phone was lost, my data won't be
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Cubot the new boys on the market are our chosen handsets at the moment, cheap cheerful do everything we want. I paid £50 for mine, £62 for my husbands, Jordan saw us using them and decided they were cool enough for him so he got one too £64 and Grace has same as me.

Calling them a fashion item rather misses the fact many of us have our lives in our phones these days, for it to be a passing fashion they'd have to come up with something amazing to replace them.

A device that can be
A calculator
Link to printer
Do my tesco shopping each week
Make me laugh Pinterest
Keep my notes and lists
Kindle reading app
Email
Magnifying glass
Various other shopping apps
Maps
Newspapers
Torch
Radio stations
Tv stations
Weather forecaster
Contact lists
Camera
Game console
Audio book app
Clock
Text
Phone
Alarm clock
Timer

One thing to replace all them !
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I'm hoping Julie sees this as I cannot PM yet.

Hi Julie I hope you don't mind me asking how you are finding the Cubot phones as my Doro phone blew a fuse and won't charge anymore so I'm in the market to replace it especially as my land lines gone down.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 09:21 PM

I've got an iPhone 7 but no plans to replace it until it breaks.

£1000 or more for the latest iPhone X is just ridiculous.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Carphone Warehouse have issued a profit warning, roaming charges have been banned by the EU, which is hitting their profits.

The other interesting thing is that mobile users are not upgrading as often due to the cost.

I was shocked to see the cost of new models, almost a £1000 to buy without a contract.

I have a perfectly good Taiwanese job, large screen 32gb , 4G etc which cost me £70.

Are you a must have iPhone fanatic?
Several things.

Firstly, I wouldn't touch Carphone Warehouse with a barge pole. It is part of the Currys - PC World group.

I agree that £1000 for a phone is ridiculous although, of course, iPhones are overpriced for what they are: they can afford to pile on the cost purely because of their name and stupid people who just want to have the latest, must-have iPhone. Another thing that I wouldn't touch with the metaphorical barge pole.

Mine is an (Android) Google Nexus 5, which I have had for at least three years and is working perfectly, although the battery is not holding its charge quite as well as it once did. I have no intention of replacing it; at least not until it turns up its toes and goes to join the choir invisible.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top