Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 04:10 PM

Public transport

I follow the number 34 bus into Woking each day and the 35 home at the end of my shift so I wondered about getting the bus rather than drive.

Looked at the walk to the bus stop and realised that wasn't going to happen as its too far if I have a bad day. But what stopped me most was price of a ticket !

How can they expect anyone to stop driving and use public transport if they are charging more for a ticket than I pay for petrol and insurance ?

They've priced them selves out of the market which I guess is why the 34-5 have at most one or two passengers on them.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Re: Public transport

Have to agree cost is exorbitant, but now have my old man pass.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 04:28 PM

Thats so true Julie , I was so glad when i got my bus pass when i reached pension age .
i live15/ 20 minutes 6 miles from town centre and its over £5.50 a return ticket , why when i can go to London and back on a coach for £20 ,which is 120 miles .

Trains are more of a rip off ,I would love to travel buy train more but the price is too high ..I do take advantage when they send offers not that often though .
More and more rural bus routes are being cut because local councils can no longer help with subsidy. The village i left 3 year ago has been cut back so much there is no bus after 6pm and none at all on a Sunday ,The locals have just had to fight for a bus in the morning to get to work and one to get them home again ,
I dont know what the answer is .Perhaps to put on smaller buses , to be sure of a full bus , thus getting some profit back
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 05:32 PM

I have no trouble with buses here. I live approx 2 miles from the centre of the city, but have the choice of three bus routes which have all come the outskirts of the city. Have never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 05:40 PM

The bus pass is a life saver ... I wouldn't be able to afford to go on buses as much as I do if I had to pay !!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 06:41 PM

We've lost a lot of our buses. I thought I'd be OK here if I had to give up driving but, now I can only get to a few places by bus.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 07:49 PM

I've enjoyed several years of free transport, first thanks to Boris Johnson for introducing the 60+ London Oyster card, then when I got the Freedom pass several years ago. More often than not, my car stays parked outside my home while I bus it everywhere.

I do agree though, that our bus companies charge the earth. I can't understand why some foreign countries can charge lower prices, unless it's to do with the wages of all staff, and the running costs. Are we an expensive country? Some routes near me (more out in the country but close by) have ceased, because they were loss making.

I have to admit, I haven't a clue what a journey costs in London! Our buses don't take cash now, so it's all travelcard based. I just whack my Pass on the reader and enjoy the benefit of being an OAP! Lol.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 08:37 PM

I mourne the fact we don't have public transport.

We used to have a privately run bus that took us into town, 4 miles was £6

I can get a train to Belfast but it takes 20 mins longer then driving as we only have single line tracks

Having been a Londoner all my life it was a bit of a culture shock. I had to learn to drive ASAP.
Horleyflyer
South of England
Horleyflyer is female 

15-09-2017, 08:58 PM

I don't drive so rely on public transport if hubs isn't around to help out with lifts.
It's £9 return on the bus to our main town!
Luckily I can buy a 30 day pass but I have to buy one for my daughter too so that she can get to college and work.
It's an expensive business for us. Can't wait till I get my free pass!!

Oh...and why can't the Scots use their free bus pass in England and visa versa? I don't get it
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2017, 07:56 AM

I appreciate my bus pass like us all , cost for return into town 3 miles away is £3,50 return so for a family it's expensive . When I bus into town I often notice the bus is full of older folk with free passes like me , maybe the odd one or two payers get on . It makes me think that's why it's expensive for the younger ones . It's made me wonder if in time we oldies will be asked to pay a smaller amount instead of free , I wouldn't mind if it helped reduce the cost for others . Maybe a payment of £1 towards our pass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top