Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:34 PM

Cat Stevens new album - The laughing apple

I particularly like this, there are a couple of reworking of older songs but his singing voice is still good.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Re: Cat Stevens new album - The laughing apple

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 05:59 PM

He still has that wonderful voice, but the songs that I have heard from the album seem trite and forced - always a danger when you are trying to force your muse through a restrictive pathway. Like Dylan's "born again" period, his religious obsessions stifle his creativity and result in pretty sterile offerings of interest only to those who share his religious faith. JMHO....
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 06:13 PM

True, some songs aren't so great but it is a particularly good version of Blackness of the Night here. The original was a little busy.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2017, 06:59 PM

This one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7vGFWxLeU

It's beautiful but I wish I could forget him saying he would not defend Salmon Rushdie if he was in fear of his life.

I love Cat Stevens old songs .

Not sure about the boy with the Fez video what's that suposed to mean ?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

18-09-2017, 07:28 PM

Somewhere on my iPhone I have a definitive collection album which has around 90 songs...I think I'm going to dig that out tonight.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 03:04 AM

I wonder why he has chosen to revert back to Cat Stevens after dedicating the past 30 years to Islam?
Publicity? Disassociation?
Not hard to understand why is it really?
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I wonder why he has chosen to revert back to Cat Stevens after dedicating the past 30 years to Islam?
Publicity? Disassociation?
Not hard to understand why is it really?
I like his musical legacy and I've heard a couple from the new album that sound ok.
However, it is unfortunate that in his search for spiritual sustenance he picked that particular religion as it hasn't shown itself to be a particularly inclusive, loving or tolerant over the past few decades.
He probably regrets it too!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top