Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 10:42 AM

From the cradle to the grave

If you can pay for goods with a finger print, be recognised by your computer by your face or iris, and so on... technology is moving so fast it's breathtaking.

So when newcomers come here are our Security and Border Controls using this new technology to help track crime and fraud?

Are people automatically fingerprinted?

Is microchipping the next thing?

How do you feel about the authorities being able to track your movements from cradle to grave...or is it an old wives' tale that they can?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 12:16 PM

Re: From the cradle to the grave

Hi

Your movements are tracked more by private companies.

If you have a Club Card or a reward card your entire lifestyle is meticulously plotted, use Amazon and every purchase is recorded and stored, including any addresses you may have had goods delivered to.

I do not like being tracked by private companies, so no club card, no rewards card and I draw out cash from the same location once a week and pay cash for things.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 12:31 PM

The reason they have rewards cards is because credit cards cannot be associated with purchases (of course they know where you shop) hence I am relatively happy to use my credit card for just about everything.

Rarely use cash, I withdraw $200 to keep in my wallet about once a month now, ATM use is dropping dramatically. I wouldn't mind a cashless society (doubt that will happen for a long while yet).

Your phone tracks you more than anything else you use.

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Probably a bit too late to start worrying. They have been collecting data for a very long time, long before we had even heard the word 'data'. and before we used debit cards to any great degree. I think Access were one of the first. Who remembers them ?

They will know shoe size, toothpaste, favourite magazine the lot.

Personally I couldn't give a monkey's now. Once I did , but no longer as what the heck, who is really interested in me anyway ? Paranoia is a terrible thing, and not worth the pain. We are just a number for commercial purposes. Anything of great importance will be assigned to our address, date of birth etc., like our medical records.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Going back 12/13 years when my daughter was at university, her house was broken into and three of them were held at knifepoint.

The culprits took all sorts and a phones belonging to the girls. My daughter had managed to hide hers.

A little while after the police arrived my daughters phone rang and it was from one of the phones that had been stolen.

Within less than 5 mins, the police had identified the call and located exactly where it had come from. which was from the end of the road.
Needless to say, they didn't rush and after all the interviews etc., we never heard another dicky bird.
Pretty appalling really after three young girls had been threatened in the night with knives.
Anyway point being the technology has been around much longer than we realise.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 07:55 PM

I agree PuddleDuck, who cares I lead a boring life my movements are pretty much the same week to week. Since having my purse stolen twice I now seldom carry much cash, one problem now is the touch credit cards, a friend had her purse stolen and the thief used her touch card several times, running up a huge bill
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:21 PM

A mate showed me an all purpose tool he had bought at work the other day.

When I got home I Googled it just to see how much it cost, and whether it was worth what he said he paid.

Since then I have had the same tool appear as an advertisement on several websites.

Big Brother is alive and well and living in your computor.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
A mate showed me an all purpose tool he had bought at work the other day.

When I got home I Googled it just to see how much it cost, and whether it was worth what he said he paid.

Since then I have had the same tool appear as an advertisement on several websites.

Big Brother is alive and well and living in your computor.
Hi

If you are concerned about this, use a search engine which does not track you.

https://duckduckgo.com/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->

Once I did , but no longer as what the heck, who is really interested in me anyway ? Paranoia is a terrible thing, and not worth the pain. We are just a number for commercial purposes. Anything of great importance will be assigned to our address, date of birth etc., like our medical records.
It's not paranoia at all. The amazing thing is that many changes have been voluntarily embraced by the population. I loathe "the internet of things". Why would we want all our movements tracked and conversations monitored? But it's become a part of life, like all the cameras watching and recording our moves.

If anyone watches sci fi there are movies where people have their fingers cut off and used to open doors. Easier to give them your handbag.

I'm just thankful I lived in a time of real freedom even though it's been over now for the last ten years.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If you are concerned about this, use a search engine which does not track you.

https://duckduckgo.com/
I have an add on called Search Incognito on Firefox that I fail to use, Google is my home page, and I have an ad blocker too.

I think it is laziness on my part, plus a fascination of how it can happen at all, throwing up ads all over the place for a single search for a particular item.

The other event that is a concern is how when sitting in a restaurant, or hospital, my phone will tell me it knows where I am, and did I want to comment on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top