Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Re: malware

We have an iMac and iPad...say no more.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
We have an iMac and iPad...say no more.
My PC cost around 250 quid to build.
My Windows 10 came for free.

Using the free antivirus software available, no virus gets in.

I can go on holiday using the difference in prices.

Say no more!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 02:39 PM

You might be correct, we have had the Mac and pad for about 3 years, no mechanical problems, therefore no outlay for repairs etc. no anti virus or anti malware programmes to buy/worry about, no down time while it’s getting fixed etc. What you get is what you are paying for, I am paying for reliability and peace of mind. Each to his own I suppose.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 02:43 PM

I cannot see the attraction of paying through the nose for Apple products, especially when you consider the fact that they are NOT actually immune to viruses and similar attacks. It is just that there are fewer aimed at Apple products.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I cannot see the attraction of paying through the nose for Apple products, especially when you consider the fact that they are NOT actually immune to viruses and similar attacks. It is just that there are fewer aimed at Apple products.
True, JBR, Mac users are finding growing numbers of Virusses (virii?) aimed at Macs.

This link shows how much is being spent, by Apple, etc, to keep out what they claim hardly exists.

https://www.macworld.com/article/292...wait-what.html
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

01-10-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You might be correct, we have had the Mac and pad for about 3 years, no mechanical problems, therefore no outlay for repairs etc. no anti virus or anti malware programmes to buy/worry about, no down time while it’s getting fixed etc. What you get is what you are paying for, I am paying for reliability and peace of mind. Each to his own I suppose.
If I suggested, to you, that computers are, pretty much, all the same you'll probably shout "rubbish".

But have a look at the structure - Motherboard, Hard Drives, keyboards, all bought to order from the same manufacturers around the far east.

Only differences are in the speed and throughput of the various bits.

I am suggesting that you could have either PC or mac built for roughly the same amount.

If true, then the big cost difference would have to be in the cost of the software platform.

I suspect that the Windows platform is, at least, as good value for money as the MAC.

The reason there are so many virus writers hitting the PC is most likely because the naughty lads are all on the cheapest package and that's the most popular.

So, is this "Japanese Car Syndrome" all over again?

I think it is.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

01-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If I suggested, to you, that computers are, pretty much, all the same you'll probably shout "rubbish".

But have a look at the structure - Motherboard, Hard Drives, keyboards, all bought to order from the same manufacturers around the far east.

Only differences are in the speed and throughput of the various bits.

I am suggesting that you could have either PC or mac built for roughly the same amount.

If true, then the big cost difference would have to be in the cost of the software platform.

I suspect that the Windows platform is, at least, as good value for money as the MAC.

The reason there are so many virus writers hitting the PC is most likely because the naughty lads are all on the cheapest package and that's the most popular.

So, is this "Japanese Car Syndrome" all over again?

I think it is.
In fact, I wouldn’t..shout rubbish that is, I do not care what platform people have, mac or windows, I have/had both.
It’s like cars you buy what you like and whether it suits you.
I have a Vauxhall, I don’t care if someone has a BMW, it more than likely is a very comfortable ride and a lot better than my bog standard Vauxhall
My Mac has not broken down or been infected during the three years I have had it, therefore I am a happy bunny and was willing to pay for that peace of mind. So over three years, money well spent and a sound investment. IMHO.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I bought two lifetime licences under a special offer quite a few years ago. There have been a few new releases since then but the licences are still being honoured.
Two lifetimes ?

Are you a Hindu ?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Two lifetimes ?

Are you a Hindu ?
No, one licence for my computer and another for Mrs mart's.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
No, one licence for my computer and another for Mrs mart's.
Now that makes sense.........sorry, what was I thinking about ?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top