Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 10:25 PM

Re: Dogs for the deaf

There's a TV show based on a real life deaf woman who works for the FBI - her dog was a golden retriever chosen because they are intelligent, faithful and have a good temperament. Similar to Labrador seeing eye dogs in many ways.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Ive never really trained my dogs to bark or guard but they all have without fail...

I once had a man with clipboard come to the door..May I ask you something he said..
I said yes and he tried to walk into my house. Oscar who had been sitting silently at my feet put himself between me and the man and growled.

The man backed off..Ill come back when the dog isnt here he said..

I told him the dog is here 23/7.. Never saw him again.

I find most dogs will alert to strangers or doorbells and many dogs do an awful lot for us that we dont even realise but its not through special training its just because they are loved and part of the family.

Nobody should have a dog simply as a tool, they must be loved and wanted as an individual as well

100% agree, Cass.

Don't like the sound of your visitor! Good job you had Oscar by the sounds of it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

I find most dogs will alert to strangers or doorbells and many dogs do an awful lot for us that we dont even realise but its not through special training its just because they are loved and part of the family.

Nobody should have a dog simply as a tool, they must be loved and wanted as an individual as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
What is that last sentence supposed to mean ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
What is that last sentence supposed to mean ?
It means they have to be valued as a family pet as well as a working animal. Police dogs over here in Blighty for example live with their handlers.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It means they have to be valued as a family pet as well as a working animal. Police dogs over here in Blighty for example live with their handlers.
Yes, I understand the literal meaning. However, based on previous posts, in other threads, I detect a different note. She is actually saying that I would use the dog "as a tool " and that I would not love and care for it AND that she does NOT approve of me. She has decided that she can read my mind AND that she is letting me know that she is morally superior to me.
Quite typical of a certain type of person.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 05:40 PM

She's the cats mother didn't your mother teach you that ?

We really don't need this amateur and ill mannnered character assessment .

It's rude and ungentlemanly .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 07:30 PM

Yes, I understand the literal meaning. However, based on previous posts, in other threads, I detect a different note. She is actually saying that I would use the dog "as a tool " and that I would not love and care for it AND that she does NOT approve of me. She has decided that she can read my mind AND that she is letting me know that she is morally superior to me.
Quite typical of a certain type of person.
Seems to me that it's you with the problem, I've never known anyone take offence quite so quickly over innocent remarks and your reactions to perceived slights is way over the top....
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Ignoring the bickering and getting back to the subject, I have a neighbour who has been a puppy walker for guide dogs for the blind for over 10 years.

Some of the pups she raises /walks dont actually make it as seeing eye dogs but that doesnt mean their role as assistance dogs are finished.

Many can be trained to assist in other roles and I know one of her dogs whos favorite past-time was playing fetch is now an assistance dog for a lady in a wheelchair . She helps with household tasks and shopping..ie playing fetch all day!

The bond with these dogs is not just the normal dog /owner bond its far more than that and that was the point I was trying to make. A dog like this is with its owner 24/7, it has to be in order to pick up on all the tiny signals that the owner gives off and the changes that might indicate a problem.

Unless an potential owner 100% commits to a dog a lot of organisations wont even begin the process of placing a dog.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 10:55 PM

Is there such a thing as dogs best suited for the deaf ?
Perhaps a mid-size dog that does not need huge amounts of exercise (like a husky needs) ?
Labradors, Cocker Spaniels, Miniature Poodles and the mixed breed Cockapoos. These breeds all have the traits needed to become perfect hearing dogs.

That is what it says on the website for the Hearing Dogs for the Deaf website.

https://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/dog-breeds-we-train
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 10:57 PM

I think most dogs for the deaf are reasonably small, they are usually quick yappy happy types.

I've taught mine not to bark at the door, in a flat you have to really of if annoys the neighbours. I can't stop them when one of us comes home and that has attracted complaints even though it's a really short couple of minutes at most !

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top