Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2017, 11:05 PM

Re: Dogs for the deaf

I agree Julie, it could be annoying for neighbours.

Also, as I said earlier, the right dog is matched to the person in need, I doubt you can pick and choose what breeds you like. It is more a match of needs and personalities.

Not sure the OP was looking for a properly trained Assistance dog though?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Not sure the OP was looking for a properly trained Assistance dog though?
Thats becoming a big problem here , not sure about the UK .. People are buying those vests with assistance dog written on them and taking all sorts of dogs into shops and offices where they wouldnt normally be allowed .

The dogs who are not properly trained are causing havoc by peeing on things and picking food off of shelves.

Its leading to some places demanding more information about what qualification the dog has to be called a service dog and some even just refusing all dogs point blank..

Why are the selfish few always there to ruin it for people who really need help?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Thats becoming a big problem here , not sure about the UK .. People are buying those vests with assistance dog written on them and taking all sorts of dogs into shops and offices where they wouldnt normally be allowed .

The dogs who are not properly trained are causing havoc by peeing on things and picking food off of shelves.

Its leading to some places demanding more information about what qualification the dog has to be called a service dog and some even just refusing all dogs point blank..

Why are the selfish few always there to ruin it for people who really need help?

You hit the nail on the head Cass - because they are selfish.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

Yes I've seen that here not a great deal but a couple of times. One person I know slightly and she got her chihuahua to get her out of the house, her GP suggested a dog and she took that as permission to call little Geoffrey her assistance dog. Of course little Geoffrey has become king of her home, basically does only what he wants when he wants and she takes him into all sorts of places he isn't trained to deal with causing fear to him IMO and making him act out.

All the GP meant was a dog might give her a reason to get out and get fresh air not that she needed an asissatance dog !
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you recall what breed ?
All I REALLY need is a dog that will let me know when someone is knocking at the door.
Are you deaf?

In what way do you need the dog to alert you?

Barking...no good if you are deaf.

Run round in circles?

A tap on the shoulder?

A moon walk across the front of the TV?

I don't understand the need for a dog if all you need is a loud doorbell.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Are you deaf?

Run round in circles?

A tap on the shoulder?

Properly trained dogs for the deaf alert by putting a paw on the persons knee I believe. Saw a great programme once about them, so clever they knew so many noises and could alert to them all.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Properly trained dogs for the deaf alert by putting a paw on the persons knee I believe. Saw a great programme once about them, so clever they knew so many noises and could alert to them all.
I know that.....I just cannot understand why somebody needs a four legged hairy doorbell.

As mentioned some dogs alert you in many ways...others don't even get up.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:55 AM

My Daughters Labrador 'Blue' wasn't a trained dog for the deaf,He was just a pet She got as a pup,but He soon realised barking at the sound of the doorbell/knocking was of no use at all when She was at Home alone,so He would alert Her by going to the door then come and stare into Her face,or tug Her, lol,or if She was sleeping.pull the duvet off Her, He was a great Boy and He is buried in the back garden with a wee plaque with His Name on,
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Julie. Even if the dog only went to the door I'd see that and be tipped off. I think that with a bit of help from the deaf center I might be able to train the dog to come to me. Dogs are very much smarter than people give them credit for. A reward of a piece of bacon for the desired behavior can work wonders.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Are you deaf?

Run round in circles?

A tap on the shoulder?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top