Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 04:33 PM

Re: Dogs for the deaf

I do agree about the boredom of only dried food.

I'd hate the same meal every day for my entire life, and as Julie says, if they were fending for themselves they would be most unlikely to choose exactly the same thing every meal for their entire life.

Not saying it is wrong necessarily, just saying I wouldn't do it.
Right from weaning puppies mine have had variety, so it is carried on throughout life.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Each to their own ... If your dog does well without treats ok.. But treats have a place in ongoing training. Just as we humans like a treat dogs also value a reward as long as its given in moderation.

Murphy gets fresh meat ..not canned. But he likes a treat as a reward and eats his dry food as part of a hunt game.

Each dog I've had has had her or his own way of doing things.... Just like us humans.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 06:01 PM

Surely those of you who say the dog must be bored by the same food are attributing a human response in an animal? My little dog gets very excited twice a day to be served her "boring" dinner.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Surely those of you who say the dog must be bored by the same food are attributing a human response in an animal? My little dog gets very excited twice a day to be served her "boring" dinner.
Not at all, in the wild dogs would have a variety and I know that Murphy will walk away if he is not stimulated by the food offered.
Dry food does not stimulate him. We have tried, it didnt work.

Some dogs like my old Beagle would clear a bowl of anything in 10 seconds flat, Murphy is a dog not food driven so he needs the variety to keep him interested,

Even Benny would eat berries from the wild and loved fruit if anyone would share with him.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have to second that mups, we accidentally caused that in one of our dogs giving cheese as training aid. Taught us a lesson I'd hate to see anyone else do it as she was on special diet and medication rest of her life.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bakerman,
I've had a number of dogs during my lifetime and I've always given them special treats from time to time. Their standard diets were dry dog food but they always loved leftover pieces of my: steak bones, bacon, chicken but no bones, ham, eggs etc. None of my dogs ever had any problems. Dogs are carnivores. If it is meat that I eat, then it can't possibly hurt a true carnivore.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->

I really feel sorry for dogs on dry food only diets .
I wouldn't like to eat musli like everyday .
Dogs are carnivores and should IMO eat meat.
The overinclusion of wheat in some dry food has caused dogs to develop allergies just as it does in humans .
I always gave my dogs raw bones as treats they love them and they are good for cleaning their teeth .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I really feel sorry for dogs on dry food only diets .
I wouldn't like to eat musli like everyday .
Dogs are carnivores and should IMO eat meat.
The overinclusion of wheat in some dry food has caused dogs to develop allergies just as it does in humans .
I always gave my dogs raw bones as treats they love them and they are good for cleaning their teeth .

I agree Muddy.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:22 AM

My last boy ( pts last October) had a grain free diet because of his allergies. Cost a fortune but was worth it to keep his skin itch free

Still had his treats. Loved raw carrot and the cabbage stalk when I was prepping the Sunday dinner. If we had chicken he also got the raw wings

He also got Sunday dinner, mostly the veg with a bit of meat chopped through it. Also loved tinned fish
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 11:27 AM

My little dog thrives on her dry diet. When I rehomed her, she was slightly overweight from scavenging and poor diet in Romania, so the Shelter advised I get her weight down from 12 kgs. Her coat felt rough to the touch. She now weighs the ideal 10 kgs and her coat feels like silk, despite being a short haired dog. She is a bundle of energy and is a very different dog to the one I brought home.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top