Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 07:29 AM

Ban on Ivory Trade

Michael Gove on BBC Breakfast made a point that the "current" trade in ivory must stop - something which I completely agree with. BUT it seems the new law will make illegal the ownership of ALL ivory items unless deemed of historical interest and presumably antiques owned by landed gentry and MP's!

Where does this leave me? I have one ivory tusk some small carvings and a necklace...........none of which I wish to part with. They are at least as old as me - that's over 50!! - and I consider them to be reminders of my childhood. Thanks, but I don't need anyone attempting to deprive me of my own belongings!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Re: Ban on Ivory Trade

Yes I saw that 'works of art'...OH piped up 'yeah and who has works of art'? The rich...
Im not saying destroy them but any work of art made from ivory should carry the label that this sculpture cause the bloodshed of at least one elephant.. It might make people look at them a bit differently.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 07:49 AM

I agree with making all trade in ivory illegal whether it was made post 1947 or not but I can't see how they can make already owning it illegal. What about all the pianos made before the seventies for instance?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Michael Gove on BBC Breakfast made a point that the "current" trade in ivory must stop - something which I completely agree with. BUT it seems the new law will make illegal the ownership of ALL ivory items unless deemed of historical interest and presumably antiques owned by landed gentry and MP's!

Where does this leave me? I have one ivory tusk some small carvings and a necklace...........none of which I wish to part with. They are at least as old as me - that's over 50!! - and I consider them to be reminders of my childhood. Thanks, but I don't need anyone attempting to deprive me of my own belongings!
Well I doubt if they are going to do house to house search on people's houses .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Keep them and your memories. Hopefully in a monetary sense they will lose their value, that's really the only thing that will stop the slaughter.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Well I doubt if they are going to do house to house search on people's houses .
I'm the PC habit goes further than that. Invite a few guests into your home and they'll be happily making judgments!

In addition to ivory.........I have a real fur coat Not only is it "real" fur..........but it is apparently made from the belly fur of snow leopard!!! Not allowed to sell it unless I can prove it is years and years old (circa 1950's I believe), and don't much like the idea of throwing it away! I could of course try wearing it with a big sign stuck on the back "IT'S A FAKE"!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 08:29 AM

I had a real fur coat left to me by an Aunty, I loved my Aunt very much but I admit I gave the coat to a charity and let them worry what to do with it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 09:03 AM

I understand an exemption to the ban which is being considered is for ..
''musical instruments and items of cultural importance''.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41512796

That to me says museum items and old musical instruments with ivory inlay.

While I would like to scrap as much ivory as possible I don't see the point in scrapping something like this which is over 200 years old.

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O5...d-hicks-peter/
Lindyloo
isle of wight

06-10-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand an exemption to the ban which is being considered is for ..
''musical instruments and items of cultural importance''.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41512796

That to me says museum items and old musical instruments with ivory inlay.

While I would like to scrap as much ivory as possible I don't see the point in scrapping something like this which is over 200 years old.

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O5...d-hicks-peter/
Frankly, scrapping any ivory is pretty pointless - it's the current trade and demand (which appears to be zero in the UK) which means anything at all. It seems to be a attempt to gain brownie points to ban something which the British public don't want anyway!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 10:23 AM

I think it's sad if they do ban all Ivory, it's bad enough the trade has decimated elephants to make people throw away old ivory that seems so disrespectful to the animals that died to me.

No new Ivory should be taken but anything already in the chain should be honoured and owned by people love it.

I have a very small Buddha I saved from a jumble sale rubbish bag back in the 70s I hate the idea behind it but I have it displayed and touch it everyday, a sort of reverence and sorry to the animal that gave its tusk for this item.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top