Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Re: Ban on Ivory Trade

It sounds like a typical government balls up to me. They haven't really thought about it too much.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2017, 11:30 PM

I'm sorry to say that nothing the western nations can do will save the elephants. China and the Muslim nations will continue to buy ivory regardless. What ever we do is just political posturing.

There is, however, a way that ivory trade can be greatly reduced. If the nations that have elephant populations were to put a large cash bounty on the poachers that just might have a real effect. If that did not work, then as a last resort, hiring game rangers to shoot on sight any poacher would really put a dent in the trade.

I love elephants a lot more than "hunters" anyway.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 12:26 AM

Announcement from:

Animal Defenders International

12 hours ago.

GREAT NEWS FOR ELEPHANTS! The UK Government has this morning announced plans to end the ivory trade! This positive news comes after the Conservative party disappointingly dropped the ban from its manifesto, and goes further than its 2016 announcement to ban only modern ivory sales. Proposed exemptions are musical instruments, items containing “only a small proportion of ivory” or of “significant historic, artistic or cultural value” and sales between museums. WE NOW NEED TO ENSURE THE UK ENDS THE IVORY TRADE! A 12-week consultation has been launched and as well as submitting its own detailed response, ADI will be guiding supporters how they can take part.

The announcement comes on the eve of the Global March for Elephants and Rhinos. Join ADI in London,
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I'm sorry to say that nothing the western nations can do will save the elephants. China and the Muslim nations will continue to buy ivory regardless. What ever we do is just political posturing.

There is, however, a way that ivory trade can be greatly reduced. If the nations that have elephant populations were to put a large cash bounty on the poachers that just might have a real effect. If that did not work, then as a last resort, hiring game rangers to shoot on sight any poacher would really put a dent in the trade.

I love elephants a lot more than "hunters" anyway.
It doesn't work like that bakerman. Firstly, whilst big game hunters are still allowed to go and pay their 10,000's of dollars for the privilege of shooting elephants and anything else that comes their way, how about that becoming illegal first.
Then the poachers might consider that it's wrong. However, the poachers poison water holes now with cyanide so that they can't be detected , those who do so have the poisoned carcasses open to scavengers including the vultures which can die in a matter of minutes too from eating the contaminated carcasses. This also kills anything that touches them such as insects. It's a vicious circle. The vultures are dying off too at an alarming rate which leaves rotting carcasses everywhere, plus the fact that vultures are the only creatures that can absorb and digest flesh digesting bacteria. So if this stops then disease will be rife . Everything has a purpose and is dependant on another. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rs-in-zimbabwe

The Governments have no wish to stop them in many cases and are as crooked as the poachers. They could upgrade security at ports etc if they wanted to, but even the port officials are corrupt. The only way to stop it, is to make the ivory unsellable and close down the markets for it.

We are the only ones who can help these beautiful animals and if we don't get involved to a greater degree it will soon be too late.
Back in the early 20th century an estimated 3-5 million African elephants, today approx. 450,00. 30% of Africa's Savannah elephants have been wiped out in 7 years, much the same decline is happening to lions but they have a lot less. 200,000 a century ago, today about 20,000. We can't close our eyes and walk on by any longer.

You can sign this if you wish. It is still open.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-brutal...ntent=ex5%3Av4
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Michael Gove on BBC Breakfast made a point that the "current" trade in ivory must stop - something which I completely agree with. BUT it seems the new law will make illegal the ownership of ALL ivory items unless deemed of historical interest and presumably antiques owned by landed gentry and MP's!

Where does this leave me? I have one ivory tusk some small carvings and a necklace...........none of which I wish to part with. They are at least as old as me - that's over 50!! - and I consider them to be reminders of my childhood. Thanks, but I don't need anyone attempting to deprive me of my own belongings!
I haven't seen any mention of making it illegal to own old ivory items. The recent extension to the ivory trade ban they have announced relates to the sale of ivory.
From the news I have seen, this won't stop you from keeping the old ivory ornaments you already own but you won't be able to sell them.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:54 AM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1248008]It doesn't work like that bakerman. Firstly, whilst big game hunters are still allowed to go and pay their 10,000's of dollars for the privilege of shooting elephants and anything else that comes their way, how about that becoming illegal first.
Then the poachers might get the idea.

The Governments have no wish to stop them in many cases and are as crooked as the poachers. They could upgrade security at ports etc if they wanted to, but even the port officials are corrupt. The only way to stop it, is to make the ivory unsellable and close down the markets for it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
bakerman replies
Several excellent points you make.
Lord knows how on earth we could possibly have any impact on those Gov't officials. I totally agree with you but I see no hope in changing those officials minds, human avarice being what it is.,

Someone once said, "All that evil needs to succeed, is for good men to do nothing".
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

07-10-2017, 02:04 AM

The Chinese are taking the donkeys too, which the Africans depend on so much.
Using them for medicine and eating. I really wish someone could get rid of the Chinese and their pathetic cultural antiquated remedies.
They will take everything out of Africa eventually.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

07-10-2017, 02:13 AM

[QUOTE=bakerman;1248017]
Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
It doesn't work like that bakerman. Firstly, whilst big game hunters are still allowed to go and pay their 10,000's of dollars for the privilege of shooting elephants and anything else that comes their way, how about that becoming illegal first.
Then the poachers might get the idea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
bakerman replies
Several excellent points you make.
Lord knows how on earth we could possibly have any impact on those Gov't officials. I totally agree with you but I see no hope in changing those officials minds, human avarice being what it is.,

Someone once said, "All that evil needs to succeed, is for good men to do nothing".
You must believe. There is a huge world wide following for all of these issues. Bear bile farms, bears are being rescued all the time, changes are coming about, but slowly. Bans on wild animals in circuses, is rampaging through Europe and USA at the moment, only through pressure from groups that are able to provide the proof of the continued cruelty. There are mass movements happening, for all these animals but the Governments have to be involved, otherwise nothing will happen and we have to lobby our MP,s or sign petitions, write letters , maybe donate, leafleting, all these things to help. Get involved ADI are in USA too. A Big movement there.
http://www.ad-international.org/adi_home/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 06:02 AM

I am forever signing these cruelty campaigns it's very depressing but what else can one do?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 07:50 AM

I remember my son going around with a petition to stop the ivory trade. He couldnt have been much older than 7 because it was while we lived in the UK.

He couldnt understand why anyone wouldnt sign, one lady said 'it wont help sonny' his reply....well of course it wont if you dont bother to sign...

Yes he was a smart arse but he really did think he could help.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top