Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 12:52 PM

GMAIL in smartphone. Help! I'm in panic mode

Please bear with me with these questions. I've no idea what I'm talking about and don't understand either.... so I'll just ramble on and hope you can make sense of what my queries are. I have highlighted the queries in case you miss any.

My daughter bought me a cheap smart phone so that I can make calls using wifi (or whatever) just specifically between us. No-one else has the number.

She set it up for me and registered it using her Gmail a/c.
I know nothing about Gmail, don't use it as I use BT emails and log on through their website.
I've not logged into either the Gmail or Mail apps on this phone.

I don't have it switched on all the time, just switch on when she tells me she's contacting me on Whats App. I sometimes switch it on to work out the damn thing and it keeps pinging.

The other day when I started it up to look at a video she'd sent of an ephalump (she's in S.Africa at the mo), I noted there were Gmail messages that I could see who the sender was and the opening line.

There was also a name that appeared listed in my Contacts, that I don't know. So I thought it was a scammer and deleted him, I blocked him as well.

When I emailed my daughter about it (using my BT a/c on my laptop) she said I had deleted him from her contacts, but not to worry as she has previous emails to contact him.

I emailed her what's happening and she has no idea why I'm getting them as obviously she has her own phone etc.
My logic says if you have X amount of phones registered to your Gmail, all will show the same notifications to those phones?

I've just gone into App Settings and app notifications for Gmail... and turned 'OFF' ALLOW PEEKING, (assuming that will stop the notifications appearing on my phone). Will that affect her own phone - I don't want to bugga up her end. Also, what do I do about any more 'contacts' that appear? ?

Can I DISABLE Gmail ON THIS PHONE, and will that affect in any way her own phone or Gmail a/c?

As I say, she's in S Africa at the mo, and I'm too nervous now, after deleting that Contact name, to do much in case I bugger up her a/c.

Incidentally, it's one of her 'alternative' emails - not 'personal, personal'... things like O2 and shopping etc.

Any ideas .... PLEASE ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Re: GMAIL in smartphone. Help! I'm in panic mode

I think if you allow peeking you will still get those messages you have to click on. I can't really help other than that I've always had my own accounts as has my husband only one we both link to is Gracie's as she's far too young to allow free on the Internet. Nathan set that up for us not using google it was using kindle app.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 12:58 PM

If gmail was an app that you downloaded then all you have to do is delete the app from the phone and it won't affect your daughter's phone. You should be able to log onto your BT email account on your phone by using the phone internet browser, and then use it as you mormally would, assuming it's a web based system.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:02 PM

BT have an app for email yahoo based. I find that very good. Worth downloading that rather than use the webpage as they will keep reminding you it's better in the app, quite annoying those messages.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Thanks Julie and Barry.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
If gmail was an app that you downloaded then all you have to do is delete the app from the phone and it won't affect your daughter's phone. You should be able to log onto your BT email account on your phone by using the phone internet browser, and then use it as you mormally would, assuming it's a web based system.
Yes, it's an App Barry that came with the phone, not downloaded it as such.
So if I delete it, things will be ok then?

Yes, I know I could log into my BT a/c in the phone, but I don't want to - just 'cos I think I feel safer on my laptop, plus I prefer the typing on a proper keyboard. Yes, I know I'm strange....

Edited to add:

Just had another thought...

If I delete the Gmail App.... will that be a problem re the registration of the phone?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-10-2017, 01:25 PM

If your phone is android it comes with Google apps pre programmed you may not be able to delete them. Why don't you just get your own gmail account ? That would solve the problem I think. You don't have to use it just leave it sitting there.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If your phone is android it comes with Google apps pre programmed you may not be able to delete them. Why don't you just get your own gmail account ? That would solve the problem I think. You don't have to use it just leave it sitting there.
Oh. So I can't delete it then?

But why do I need a Gmail a/c Julie ... she registered it to hers. Even if I did open a Gmail, it would be still registered to hers.

Confused OAP
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-10-2017, 01:34 PM

I can't understand why she registered it to hers it makes much more sense to have it registered to you if you are using it.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I can't understand why she registered it to hers it makes much more sense to have it registered to you if you are using it.
She was being thoughtful methinks. I think it was because she knows I'm a private person. She bought me it cos she was going abroad, so we could keep in touch for free and obviously when she comes back, I don't have to pay to use it when I'm at home.
My old phone, which I still have doesn't have connection to the internet. It's just a PAYG phone, pretty much useless really, but I take it out with me.

She'd done all the registering etc before she gave it me.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

07-10-2017, 01:44 PM

Just checked it to see if I could delete the Gmail App .... I can disable it.

Shall I do that and it won't affect hers at all then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top