Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Taking the Sex out of the Census.

For goodness sake, what is happening to our society? Is the world going mad?

The Office for National Statistics is now suggesting that the sex of everyone should in the future, no longer be a requirement on the form to state whether they are male or female.

The reason?

1. Because intersex and non-binary people would find it
impossible to answer.
2. Asking what sex they were at birth is frowned on
because that would ride roughshod over “the needs of
trans people with disclosure concerns”.
3. Having a third option of “Other” because it would
“homogenise” the transgender community.

Apparently the suggestion then is to leave the question In but instead of having to make the answer mandatory as it has always been, to make it instead, completely voluntary – as is the same question on faith.

But…. Now that recommendation has offended feminists, who fear their biological sex is being “erased", Germaine Greer has gone as far as to say that women’s very “right to exist” was being challenged.

Are all these people living on a different planet to the rest of us? The question on the census form was put there solely to enable the government to show a complete picture of the nation and is used by the government again to shape policy and plan public services.

Now we all have sympathy with anyone who feels they have been born into the wrong body, but this lobbying by transgender groups to put the needs of intersex and non-binery people over the right to see the numbers of male and female in this country is going too far to be sensible. It already offends me the way a majority of Government and other official documents have obliterated completely the section of Married, Husband, Wife and Mrs, replacing it instead with the word – Partner!. My husband is NOT my partner, he is my husband, I am his wife. We are married and my proud title is MRS! And I expect there to be a section as there has always been, to be able to enter this information onto the census form.

Finding out the numbers of males to females in British life is far more important than pandering to the increasing power-seeking transgender lobby.

It’s time a stop was put on it! What are your views on this?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:48 AM

Re: Taking the Sex out of the Census.

This is madness I wonder who actually thinks it's upsetting people because I don't know anyone that it does. Transgender people are clear they want to be known as a male or female, so take that away is likely to upset them. Non binary people could be easily catered to by adding that to the census, although I must admit it confuses me a bit that anyone doesn't feel either way, but I guess that is proving my theory we are all on a sliding scale so I shouldn't be confused about it at all.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Shropshiregirl - I completely agree with you !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Perhaps they just need to know how many people there are and gender is irrelevant anyway.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:04 AM

The next thing you know is that they won't be allowed to put the sex of the baby on a birth certificate..... till they are old enough to know what they want to be!
I used to have a lot of sympathy with gay people or transgender, because they were a small number of people who were born that way. Now there are so many I tend to think it is a choice, rather than a fault in their genes and although I think they should be allowed to do what they wish, if it does no harm, I still think they should remain the sex they were born as for census purposes.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Tessa, of course they need to know the number of males and female there are in the country. It is essential to all sections of social services, hospital wards, care homes, you name it, the numbers are required for future planning throughout the country.

To make it voluntary, just to pander to the supposed hurt feelings of a minority section in our society at the expense of such vital information, is a step too far and it should stop.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:10 AM

Surely they know through birth registration how many boys and girls were born.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Tessa, of course they need to know the number of males and female there are in the country. It is essential to all sections of social services, hospital wards, care homes, you name it, the numbers are required for future planning throughout the country.

To make it voluntary, just to pander to the supposed hurt feelings of a minority section in our society at the expense of such vital information, is a step too far and it should stop.
Well said Shrops.
Well said.
This is just another case of political correctness gone MAD!
As it already has of course.
Were is me migraine tablets when I need them!

I suppose it would ask to much of the BC crowd to just rugger off and leave us alone would it?
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:14 AM

I agree entirely, Shropshiregirl.

I'm that useless piece of skin on the end of a penis - a man - and proud of it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Surely they know through birth registration how many boys and girls were born.
Good point IMO

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top