Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:58 AM

Re: Taking the Sex out of the Census.

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It would seem that some parents have registered their new babies as "gender unknown" or "gender unspecified", the idea being that the child can pick it's own sex at a later date. I don't care what sex any adult wants to call him/herself, but I do think it's very wrong to push small children into being "gender neutral", or suggesting sex changes at 3 and 4 years old. Many small children like to "dress up", girls like to play with toys traditionally meant for boys, boys like to play with toys traditionally meant for girls, but the almost always grow out of it. The world truly has gone crazy.
I agree with all you say there Clumsy.
Particularly in bold!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:00 AM

It's up to the Government to note how many people come into the country, they don't seem to have managed that yet.
Also if people aren't supposed to be here they won't appear on a census whatever gender they are.
A lot can change in a household in ten years between census forms so they don't really show true figures, just an idea.
As for hospitals, surely the numbers of patients and their genders appear on their records at some point so they can see what type of wards they need, the same as they must do with maternity, orthopedics etc.
I think if they hadn't announced this possible change, no one would have noticed, it's just been brought to our attention to cause a fuss.
You don't have to tick boxes about ethnicity if you don't want to which is probably just as informative as gender when you're monitoring a population, isn't it?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It's never been an illness they put people in prison because they considered it a choice and perversion.

Societies are changing, we are seeing more openly gay and bisexual people could be several reasons for it but choice isn't one. We are over populated it could even be a way nature is trying to redress the balance.
Sorry but I can't agree with you there it was always considered to be a hormone imbalance. If that is wrong then anybody choosing to have sex with somebody of the same sex has to be choice.
If it was natures way of reducing the population,then it won't work as most of them seem to want a family too... very often by using their own sperm or eggs!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
I agree with all you say there Clumsy.
Particularly in bold!
I'm sure many parents have known their small children go through such experiences. From birth to around 8 years of age my son was what could only be described as a "pretty" child and on meeting people who didn't know us they always said "what a pretty little girl". He went through a stage of saying "when I grow up to be a big girl"... At around 3 or 4 years of age he then said "I'm not a girl I'm a boy". If he had been born these days, I'd probably be rushing off to see a psychiatrist to try and get him a sex change and insisting that he could wear a dress to school.

He grew up to be a soldier, won medals for boxing and shooting etc, etc, no confusion whatsoever about what sex he was. I very strongly suspect it's the same for a huge majority of children.

I must be old fashioned but I think all this pushing of gender neutral is very wrong and is only going to lead to a very confused next generation.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's up to the Government to note how many people come into the country, they don't seem to have managed that yet.
Also if people aren't supposed to be here they won't appear on a census whatever gender they are.
A lot can change in a household in ten years between census forms so they don't really show true figures, just an idea.
As for hospitals, surely the numbers of patients and their genders appear on their records at some point so they can see what type of wards they need, the same as they must do with maternity, orthopedics etc.
I think if they hadn't announced this possible change, no one would have noticed, it's just been brought to our attention to cause a fuss.
You don't have to tick boxes about ethnicity if you don't want to which is probably just as informative as gender when you're monitoring a population, isn't it?
Sorry, have to disagree with you Tess. They have annnounced it, and I am annoyed with it!

It is probably a hot potato for the PC, but I personally believe that the entry on the Census form regarding ethnicity should also be mandatory!
If no-one need put their ethnicity down on the Census form, how are we able to gauge the percentage of what ethnicity is in this country? Surely to goodness, we need this information to keep a check on immigration, if nothing else? (or is that classed as racist speak?).

All I know is that it is all getting crazy. We have a duty to fill in the Census form every ten years, and perfectly legitimate sections such as Mr, Mrs, Male, Female and Ethnicity should be available to see and be ready to fill in.I do not care one iota if they wish to add any other titles, they can add as many new titles as they wish. But not at the expense of obliterating those of us who have existed since the Census form first came into being. I think they have a ruddy nerve in even suggesting it!
Religion is not important as everyone's religion is supposedly equal. One's gender and ethnicity is not, never will be, and the percentage of both needs to be taken into account by the government.

Surely that is what the Census form is for? The way things are heading, pretty soon, no-one will exist. we will all just be known as cogs!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Sorry but I can't agree with you there it was always considered to be a hormone imbalance. If that is wrong then anybody choosing to have sex with somebody of the same sex has to be choice.
If it was natures way of reducing the population,then it won't work as most of them seem to want a family too... very often by using their own sperm or eggs!
I've only ever heard the hormone theory from people that are trying to find a cure. It's not a theory I'd believe.

And nature often throws up things that humans find a way around. If society wasn't set up so keenly to have families I doubt the gay people wanting families would be so keen. Many heterosexual people feel pushed into that one too.

If it was a hormone I think by now it would be eradicated as its not something generally people are very happy to accept initially about themselves. No one would chose the lifestyle that can get them thrown from a high tower or stoned, it's too much to believe they'd do that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Sorry, have to disagree with you Tess. They have annnounced it, and I am annoyed with it!

It is probably a hot potato for the PC, but I personally believe that the entry on the Census form regarding ethnicity should also be mandatory!
If no-one need put their ethnicity down on the Census form, how are we able to gauge the percentage of what ethnicity is in this country? Surely to goodness, we need this information to keep a check on immigration, if nothing else? (or is that classed as racist speak?).

All I know is that it is all getting crazy. We have a duty to fill in the Census form every ten years, and perfectly legitimate sections such as Mr, Mrs, Male, Female and Ethnicity should be available to see and be ready to fill in.I do not care one iota if they wish to add any other titles, they can add as many new titles as they wish. But not at the expense of obliterating those of us who have existed since the Census form first came into being. I think they have a ruddy nerve in even suggesting it!
Religion is not important as everyone's religion is supposedly equal. One's gender and ethnicity is not, never will be, and the percentage of both needs to be taken into account by the government.

Surely that is what the Census form is for? The way things are heading, pretty soon, no-one will exist. we will all just be known as cogs!
Just a quick question why do we need to know ethnicity ? I often wonder when filling in forms why they need to know. If we are seeking equality then surely that should not matter ?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:56 AM

I'm with you Shroppy.

It defeats the whole objective of the census
1) To establish current population.
2) To anticipate population growth ( the mars and venus syndrome) to establish future demands on healthcare, schooling and housing etc.

If anything, I'd heard a few years back the government were considering scrapping the census anyway. Apparently, we're all so well documented in the system via banking, credit cards, medical records that the census is becoming defunct and considered an expensive waste of money.

In 1911 householders were even required to say how many children they'd had and how many had died and were still living. The PC brigade would go wild over that one now as an invasion of privacy.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just a quick question why do we need to know ethnicity ? I often wonder when filling in forms why they need to know. If we are seeking equality then surely that should not matter ?
Think of it as 'pick and mix' at the old Woollies sweet counter Julie.
They want to know how many Everton Mints are in with the Jelly Babies.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

Shroppie I hope you've sent this in letter form to your MP!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top