Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 02:55 PM

Re: Taking the Sex out of the Census.

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Sorry but I can't agree with you there it was always considered to be a hormone imbalance. If that is wrong then anybody choosing to have sex with somebody of the same sex has to be choice.
If it was natures way of reducing the population,then it won't work as most of them seem to want a family too... very often by using their own sperm or eggs!
There was a programme on TV a while back that proved that tendencies towards homosexuality happened in the womb at the early development stage due to contrasting hormones between the foetus and the mother.

Can't remember the name of show specifically, but here is some bumf on it.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/...may-start-womb
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Yes gender will be affected by the balance of testoterone in the womb. Makes sense that drinking water full of hormones may affect development. We never had hormones in drinking water until recent decades so could be seeing the results.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just a quick question why do we need to know ethnicity ? I often wonder when filling in forms why they need to know. If we are seeking equality then surely that should not matter ?
Julie, it's nothing whatsoever to do with equality. No-one is saying otherwise. I am all for equality in our society, but surely it has to do with identity. Putting it bluntly and certainly without any racist thought, for example, if, as it is at present, the section on ethnicity is voluntary, and was eventually found that 75% of the British population turned out to be non-British born, how is that being equal? how are governments meant to control immigration numbers? Only by making it compulsory to put one's ethnicity are they, and we, able to keep a check on it.

I know some will disagree with my viewpoint, but there you are, what is the point of a Census form if anything on it is voluntary. Pointless filling it in!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That made me laugh tessa
Me too Tessa, that poor woman must have wondered what she had walked into. Hope she had the sense to grab a free drink!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:35 PM

A lot of the detail on the form is used for healthcare planning. Ethnicity being one. Gender being another. Not everyone is registered at a GP and some people are registered twice. It's also used for statistics by the ONS, for schools planning, social care planning. Just for looking at demographic trends. Councils surely get funding allocations based on census data. But in terms of gender it's probably most useful for healthcare services. I think GP's get more money for women. Probably all also used by market researchers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A lot of the detail on the form is used for healthcare planning. Ethnicity being one. Gender being another. Not everyone is registered at a GP and some people are registered twice. It's also used for statistics by the ONS, for schools planning, social care planning. Just for looking at demographic trends. Councils surely get funding allocations based on census data. But in terms of gender it's probably most useful for healthcare services. I think GP's get more money for women. Probably all also used by market researchers.

Hi

Yep, spot on.

It is all put into the Observatory, which is the computer system which governs our lives.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Surely they know through birth registration how many boys and girls were born.
I think The Census includes everyone living in this country, including foreign nationals who were born abroad.

The Census is useful for the reasons AnnieS mentioned and also to track demographic trends in U.K. over the decades - but if we are going to keep dropping questions or making them optional because they are too intrusive, the Census Data will become less reliable and less useful. I think they should keep a question on either biological sex or gender identity, with some appropriately named 'other' box, to give an idea of the male/female population.

The ONS haven't made any firm proposals or decisions yet and the proposals would have to go through a Parliamentary vote, won't they?

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top